How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

(Solved) - Windows 7 Boot Problems

(3 posts)
  • Started 4 years ago by robotsneedhugs2
  • Latest reply from robotsneedhugs2
  • Topic Viewed 1340 times

robotsneedhugs2
robotsneedhugs2

I had two partitions on my hard drive, one with Windows 7 and the other with XP. I use 7 for my main OS now, but my computer isn't that great and Fallout 3 wouldn't run worth crap on it, but it ran decently on XP. Since I use XP for only playing Fallout, I didn't need all half of the drive, so I was going to make the Win 7 partition take up most of the hard drive with a little left over for XP.

I resized and moved the partitions with GParted, but somewhere in there was an error. I tried to reboot, and I got a "bootmgr is missing" error. I put in the Windows 7 RC1 DVD and tried the repair thing, and the Startup Repair says that it worked. But, when I boot up, I get some weird desktop with the classic style. I had to use the Task Manager to start Explorer.exe, and when I tried to open anything, it gives me some "no such interface supported" error.

Now, when I boot with the Win7 disc and try the Startup Repair, it doesn't detect any errors. I've also tried "bootrec /fixboot" in the commmand prompt and it says the operation completed successfully. Also, the System Recovery Options shows the OS as "Windows 7 Ultimate (recovered)."

I would have backed up my data, but I can't afford a seperate Hard Drive. Is there a way to get Windows 7 back up on its feet with all my data intact? Or, if I reinstall Windows 7, is there a way to keep all my data with it?

Posted 4 years ago

ScottW
ScottW

robotsneedhugs2, you can use Windows Easy Transfer to backup your User data, some application settings, and any other files you want to keep. This data needs to be backed up somewhere -- on the XP partition, if there's room, on a USB flash drive or on DVD-Rs. Then you can reinstall Windows 7 and use Easy Transfer again to restore the data. You will have to reinstall your applications. Given the state that your Windows 7 install is in now, this kind of reinstall is probably your best bet.

Do you remember what error you got while using GPartEd?

Accepted Answer · Posted 4 years ago

robotsneedhugs2
robotsneedhugs2

I just copied my files to an empty partition and reinstalled Win7. Thanks for your help. Also, I could have sworn that I replied already to your message.

Posted 4 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Get Free Articles in Your Inbox!

Join 134,000 newsletter readers

Email:

Go check your email!