How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

(Solved) - Windows 7 - Black screen after window logo before desktop load

(12 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by MathewDunn
  • Latest reply from MathewDunn
  • Topic Viewed 9021 times

MathewDunn

Hi there

I'm new to the forums and feel as though there may be a lot of knowledgable people here :D

About 2 months ago I had an issue appear on my MSI Laptop
Specs are:
Windows 7 64bit Home Premium, i7 2ghz, 4gb ram, Nvidia 540m, not sure on the motherboard make but can update once I look at it (At work atm), 500gb HDD

Upon switch on the bios appears, the windows logo appears and lots of HDD activity, then the screen goes black and the HDD light flicks every second, literally, and after about 45-60 seconds the desktop appears, loads fine and everything is hunky dory. No performance issues while in Windows.

During a safe mode start the drivers & system files appear on screen but refresh a new file on the screen every second. It looks like a refresh rate issue when they are appearing as the whole screen takes a second to push all the files up the screen and add a new line to it.

I had looked in the BIOS and it all looks fine, loading default values makes no difference
I have done a recovery from the MSI Recovery Partition to reset how it was when I got it a year ago, makes no difference
Used a Win7 DVD and done a Startup Repair, makes no difference
Used a Win7 DVD and done a command start and used 'bootrec /fixboot' and 'bootrec /fixmbr', makes no difference
Uninstalled Nvidia drivers with a clean install to the latest version available, makes no difference (although I wouldn't expect this to)
Installed latest Intel HD 3000 drivers, makes no difference (again, wouldn't expect it to)
Done a memtest, all 100% fine
Done chkdisk, all 100% fine
Defragmentation of the drive has 0% defragmented
In MSCONFIG changed it to not do anything in the STARTUP, makes no difference.
Stopped all services that aren't required i.e Adobe update etc
No critical errors appearing or known

A boot log reports the following items unable to load driver:
4 instances of NDProxy.svs
1 instance of vga.sys
1 instance of srv.sys
The above 3 files exist in the directories asked for so not sure why it can't load them.

Although the laptop works fine when it's loaded, the additional time on this blackscreen is just winding me up as it didn't do it before.

Any ideas or clues as to what to attempt to fix it. If nothing can be done I can live with it because as I said, once windows is loaded there are no performance issues or errors whatsoever

I will try to answer any questions you put forward as to my system and thank you for any comments in advance

Matt

Posted 1 year ago

Xhi
Xhi

My windows 7 programs do that every time they load. It is particularly long when updates have been installed. Check your Startup files either by running msconfig -> Startup tab, or CCleaner -> tools -> Startup. Reduce the list to a bare minimum by disabling most of those files. none are acutally needed. I recommend only leaving your antivirus and firewall if any. When things speed up you can add back in others you think you would like to automatically start and would have to do it manually anyway.

Posted 1 year ago

MathewDunn

Hi Xhi

Thanks for the reply
I have done the msconfig startup tab already and reduced it to nothing, it has made no difference. I have also run CCleaner and that hasn't changed anything either.
I have browsed, probably, over 50 different scenarios people have tried and nothing helps is speeding up the load time.
Having no windows updates, i.e a fresh install, still makes it load with the 45-60 second delay.

The issue isn't when Windows has loaded, it's the time before the desktop even appears. Once I get the Welcome screen all is fine and the laptop reacts as it should.

Posted 1 year ago

ispalten
ispalten

What you are seeing is NORMAL, and it has to do with load times and your hard disk speed.

I say that because I have 2 computers here running W7 Home Prem. X64. Each had a mechanical hard drive replaced by an SSD.

Let me explain more,

System 1, a 2 1/2 year old computer. It has a WD 750GB 32MB Cache, and with all the stuff loading and starting, it took about 3 1/2 minuted to fully boot. System was usable at about 3 minutes. Normal sequence was the BIOS screen, the W7 dots becoming the flag, a period of black screen, then the Welcome and eventually the desktop populating, and finally programs starting and the Systray population.

This system is all SATA II and I put in a 115GB SSD and cloned over the OS partition to it.

It not boots in less than 40 seconds. Same display characteristics, BIOS, W7 dots to flag, very short black screen and W7 blue Welcome, and desktop and Systray populate almost immediately.

System 2, a 4 month old computer, SATA III drives. Original 1TB drive booted in 1 1/2 minutes. Same visual effects seen. System since it is newer really has not been loaded with a lot of 'junk' yet.

Put in a 128GB SSD and cloned over the OS partition. Less than 30 seconds to a fully usable system. This is so fast, that the visual display items are quite different. BIOS screen is up and gone in seconds. Very hard to hit F2 and get into the BIOS, it takes a few tries sometimes. The Dots to Flag screen never completed the flag, only starts it... Black screen, very briefly, unless there are system updates to be installed (Windows uses this time/screen to do that). Blue Welcome screen, RARELY seen, and if seen (I suspect during updates) only briefly. Desktop population is immediate, and the Systray fills very fast.

So what is the difference, the SPEED of the disk that the OS and apps are loaded from.

I suspect you've loaded some program that just takes time... although stopping everything from loading at start should help here. One other place to look IS SCHEDULED TASKS... many start at boot time... and it could be the DEFRAG running or something like that.

I'd run CHKDSK on all drives to be sure it isn't a drive error.

Other things to try, use READYBOOST and see if that helps...

Oh, the files not loading, could all be normal too. The VGA.SYS I know is. That is the video driver of last resort. If you do NOT load another, you are loading the NVIDIA drivers, it will load.

The NDProxy.sys, could be because you have more than one Network Device or re-installed sometime the drivers. Basically they found nothing to do and 'quit'.

Some links to look at though,

http://www.geekstogo.com/forum.....dproxysys/
http://answers.microsoft.com/e.....526b958c73 (Get the AUTORUNS from here and see what that shows too).

Irv S.

Posted 1 year ago

MathewDunn

Hi Ispalten

Thank you for your suggestion.

I understand what you're saying and what is said makes sense, and here's the however,
I have done a fresh install of Windows SP1, no updates applied, nothing installed other than Windows, the required drivers to make devices work (sound card, network driver etc) and the latest Nvidia drivers. Even during this it still does the same long black screen I had before I did the fresh install.
I said in my first post that I did run a chkdsk and all was fine, no issues at all. No bad sectors or data in bad places etc.

Overall it looks like windows is loading drivers/system files at the rate of 1 per second instead of blitzing through.
The HDD seems fine as I stated once Windows loads the Welcome screen, everything is ready and nothing is slowed. There are no issues getting games to load or having delays in opening anything on it.

I'll have a look again at the AUTORUNS and Services but I suspect that as it is a fresh install with no programs added that this won't fix the issue.

Posted 1 year ago

germ-x
germ-x

When you did the fresh install did you wipe your HDD first or just pop the install disk in and do a new install?
You really should wipe the HDD before doing the clean install.
If your system was running satisfactory and then started acting up then after clean installs same problem then you might start looking at a possible hardware problem.
Your HDD might be the culprit.
You said "About 2 months ago I had an issue appear on my MSI Laptop", what was the issue?

Posted 1 year ago

MathewDunn

Hi germ-x
Thanks for the reply
The install was a wipe of the C: drive where my windows install was located.
A chkdsk returns no errors and everything runs fine once the desktop is loaded.
The issue is the long timed black screen between the dots becoming the windows logo and the welcome screen appearing, timed for approx 45-60 seconds. The order I have put it on the original may have confused you, sorry :D

Posted 1 year ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

Open an elevated Command Prompt, and run the command,
sfc /scannow

Posted 1 year ago

MathewDunn

Hi Lighthouse

Not tried that one so I will once I get to my laptop (at work atm)
I'll update with results
Thanks

Posted 1 year ago

ispalten
ispalten

When you did the CLEAN install, did you do a LONG format? Quick one might not clean everything up.

Find the maker of the disk drive and then go to its website, look for Diagnostics for the drive. Everything you've said sort of indicates a drive problem possibly.

What happens if you didn't load the device drivers? If you are willing, try that now. See if it still happens, as it is possible one of the device drivers is causing the problem.

Use AUTORUNS and did it show anything unusual?

Check your BIOS to, see if a setting changed? I''ll assume you've never updated the BIOS, correct?

Irv S.

Posted 1 year ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

This Autoruns,
http://technet.microsoft.com/e.....63902.aspx
Not the other nasty one with the same name.

Posted 1 year ago

MathewDunn

Found the issue...
In the SD slot was a micro SD converter which had been left in. There was no SD card in it. Took out the converter and all works fine.
It must have been looking for something in the slot to load and couldn't find anything so stalled on loading.

Thanks for the suggestions
Matt

Accepted Answer · Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.