How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

Windows 7 Beta - Opinion - Scot Finnie

(9 posts)
  • Started 5 years ago by raphoenix
  • Latest reply from btk1w1
  • Topic Viewed 1298 times

raphoenix
raphoenix

Posted for information and comment purposes only.

http://blog.scotsnewsletter.co.....impressed/

Posted 5 years ago

whs
whs

This is a lot of fluff. I cannot verify his performance statememts because I run W7 virtual. But his "expert opinion" on Home Group is ridiculous. Changing the password (that he apparently could not do) is the easiest thing of the world. And his doomsday scenario about the release version of W7 is a lot of guesswork. In one thing he is right though, W7 is another release of Vista with things tidied up. If it was not for the unfortunate reputation that was given to Vista by morons like him, MS would probably call it Vista Release 2.

Posted 5 years ago

tonyespo

I totally agree that Microsoft is giving us a better version of Vista. To say that this is a NEW operating system is not the case. It's Vista on Steroids. Let's face it Microsoft got slammed by everyone about how poorly Vista met their needs. Mac, killed Vista on TV commercials and made a laughing stock out of it. If Microsoft would have called Win 7 anything with a Vista attachment in the name it would of died before it hit the shelves. I like what I see so far on Win 7 and plan to continue to use it if it's affordable when the final release comes out. I'll still keep XP on my second HD just for the sake of knowing that I have an operating system I can count on when I just need to get online and answer email.

Posted 5 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

About the Author
-
Scot Finnie is an award-winning journalist, magazine editor, author, and computer-product reviewer who's been plying his trade for 25 years. He is Editor in Chief of Computerworld.
-
He has also served on the editorial staffs of ZDNet, PC/Computing, InformationWeek/Techweb, and Windows Magazine. He's written articles for numerous publications along the way, including CFO, CNET, PC World, PC Magazine, MacWeek, Byte, Popular Mechanics, Popular Science, and Stereo Review: Sound and Vision.

Posted 5 years ago

whs
whs

Am I supposed to be impressed? I have been in the computer business a lot longer than him and seen a lot of these types. Their main goal is to fill paper with ink. Any BS will do.

Posted 5 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

@whs,

No, I just forgot and left the Article Sourcing out of the original post and the Edit time out caught me.

Posted 5 years ago

0zSpitt
0zSpitt

if he's done all of that why hasn't he developed an operating system? then he might have a little merit in his opinions

Posted 5 years ago

whs
whs

Oz, Right. He is only an "ink spiller" and apparently does not even go thru the trouble of studying the subject sufficiently. It is obvious from the article, that he spent very little time on W7. And his credentials make him dangerous because a lot of people will go by this BS. Just think back at the Mohave project. Compare guys like him to people like Russinovich - there is a world of difference.

Posted 5 years ago

btk1w1

I am currently taking 7 for a test drive, if someone came to me and said,

(quoted from linked review page)

"...try launching two Windows at once or loading two Internet Explorer windows. Try deleting one large folder of files, and then while that’s taking forever to delete, try deleting another."

I would say your hardware must be severely lacking!

I currently have at least a dozen Internet Explorer pages open... running like greased lightning. I have actually run my DVD backup software whilst browsing in this fashion with no noticeable performance issues.

I have used 7 to copy and transfer upward of 100 high resolution photos from my 8mp camera to a 2 1/2" external HDD, job completed nicely.

Highlighted and deleted multiple files, large and small, the OS didn't balk at that either.

I haven't yet had the chance to look at the very comprehensive "Performance Monitor" included with the OS, but I will when I decide to drive it hard. At the moment I'm still enjoying cruise control.

Sorry to that Scott Whoeveryouare, I couldn't make it past the second paragraph. His experiences with 7 and my own had differed too much by that stage!!!

Posted 5 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Enter Your Email Here to Get Access for Free:

Go check your email!