The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

Windows 7 Backup Utility

(8 posts)
  • Started 4 years ago by cledden
  • Latest reply from ssc73
  • Topic Viewed 1258 times

cledden

Windows 7 x 64 RTM Ultimate Backup has failed completely. The system tells me that "the specified service does not exist as an installed service(0x80070424)" This is despite a partially successful first backup. Any ideas?

Posted 4 years ago

mfletch
mfletch

In that window can you view the files it has not backed up.

Posted 4 years ago

cledden

I deleted all files from my backup drive, and cleared the registry of all relevant info in an attempt to start fresh. Backup utility won't work at all.

Posted 4 years ago

LH
LH

Open a Command Prompt (as Administrator), and run the command
sfc /scannow

See if it picks anything up.

Posted 4 years ago

cledden

Thanks LH. sfc/scannow didn't pick up anything.

Posted 4 years ago

raffer

Has this problem been solved?? `cos I have the same and would like to find out how to get Backup re-installed

raffer

Posted 4 years ago

whs
whs

There are many, many reports on the web that this Win7 function does not work properly. I would suggest to leave it alone for the time being until they have fixed it. You don't want to be sitting there one day when you are in a bind, want to recover your system, and the damn thing does not function. Use this very easy program instead - and I guarantee it works. http://www.howtogeek.com/forum.....?replies=1

Posted 4 years ago

ssc73

I haven't had this issue yet but is it also a problem with the 'create system image' portion of Windows Backup? The reason I ask is that I did one full backup creating a sys image as well as the full back up and it took a ridiculous amount of time though it did work.

Instead, I sync my data folders once a week and kept the system image from my clean install + software I knew I wanted and all the windows updates and created a sys repair disc. It's like havin a double backup of your data and with a repair disc, a very easy to re-install,pre-configure/customized to your liking OS. If any other major updates come out-like the one that corrected usb drivers for nvidia mobos, i sync them in with the data and I can be up and running again quickly without even having to connect to the internet.

The app whs mentions accomplishes the same thing with system images. Syncing what's really important-data-once a week and having a custom sys image is the best backup strategy I've found yet. And it saves tons of time too.

Posted 4 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.