How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

(Solved) - Windows 7 Backup

(8 posts)
  • Started 4 years ago by LarrySr
  • Latest reply from LarrySr
  • Topic Viewed 3085 times

LarrySr
LarrySr

I am new to Windows 7 backup. I think I have 2 good backups using Windows 7 backup. However; I don't seem to be able to find any way to view backup history to see if these backups completed without any errors. Is there any way to view a log type file or execution history of Windows 7 backup?

Posted 4 years ago

LarrySr
LarrySr

Would whoever is moderator of this board please delete this posting for me. I submitted it and there doesn't seem to be anyone who can reply with the requested information so I don't see any reason to keep it cluttering up this board. I could not find any option for me to delete my posting.

Posted 4 years ago

LH
LH

Please be patient. Someone may yet come along with an answer.

Posted 4 years ago

germ-x
germ-x

hi larrysr, here is what I can find about your question. The log file is in c:\windows\logs\WindowsBackup and is the only 'log' file there. Don't know how or what you use to read it. Click here to read moe about the win7 backup option. There is other backup software out there that has many options. The one most recommended on this site is free and does a good job. It is called Macrium reflect. you can get it here. Ghost is another good one.

g-x

Posted 4 years ago

GKI610
GKI610

@g-x: notepad always reads logs for me, in Windows

Posted 4 years ago

InterPC
InterPC

You can see a log of problems and errors in the 'Control Panel' that Windows constantly monitors but you may not be able to view the log of system backups. Normally at the end of a backup if it says that it completed successfully usually it did and you shouldn't have to worry but if is sates it did not complete successfully that is when you may have perform a backup again. I hope this helps you.

Posted 4 years ago

ssc73

One other note, the Windows back-up, at least for me, has been painfully long!! I use a system image with 'Macrium' that germ-x linked and do one-way or two-way syncs on the really important data. Takes nowhere near the time.

I don't know if you can view the log, but through the 'Action Center', you should be able to see when the back-ups were done and whether or not they were successful? I think Windows Error Reporting will also log it if it fails??

Accepted Answer · Posted 4 years ago

LarrySr
LarrySr

Thank you for your reply's. I think I will give up on Windows 7 backup. I want a backup that will let me backup to my external hard drive and do differential backups. I want to be able to select specific files for restore and keep all my own backups at my location. I will take a look at the backups you recommended including Ghost.

Posted 4 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Enter Your Email Here to Get Access for Free:

Go check your email!