The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

Windows 7 Backup

(3 posts)
  • Started 5 years ago by NickJr
  • Latest reply from NickJr
  • Topic Viewed 716 times

NickJr

I have a dual boot system, Win7 and Vista, I am trying to use the backup utility that comes with Win7 to create an image of only the Win7 drive, but each time it automatically selects both drives. I do not want an image of my Vista, only my Win7. I am unable to uncheck the Vista drive. Anyone know how to get around this.. Thanks for information

Posted 5 years ago

ScottW

NickJr, hello. My guess would be that your boot manager is stored on the Vista partition, so Windows Backup has decided to grab the whole partition. I have a similar situation with my boot manager on a separate partition and when I try to create a backup with Windows 7, it also selects the boot manager partition and that check mark is greyed out. Does your Vista partition say "(System)" after it?

You can find the location of the boot manager with the bcdedit.exe command line or EasyBCD.

Posted 5 years ago

NickJr

You are correct. Boot manager is on the Vista partition. I even decided to remove the visa drive from my laptop, and then it won't boot at all, my guess is because it is not the main primary partition ,even though it is two separate drives.

Posted 5 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.