The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

Windows 7 Autoplay not running

(12 posts)
  • Started 4 years ago by tickle17
  • Latest reply from GKI610
  • Topic Viewed 3347 times

tickle17

I have two laptops both running Windows 7 Home Premium. They were installed clean from the same disc. (Genuine disc from Microsoft).

On one laptop, I can insert a USB stick and AutoPlay opens up asking me what I want to do .(Play music, open folder blah...)
But on the other laptop, I insert the SAME USB Stick and AutoPlay does NOT open. I have to go to Computer and open the USB from the same.

Same thing happens with DVD's, CD's and other media.

On the laptop where AP(AutoPlay) doesnt work, I clicked start and typed "AutoPlay" and hit enter. The AP settings window opened and nearly everything is set to "Ask me what I want to do" or something like that.

I really don't want to install Windows 7 again so I would like to avoid that option.
What can I do?

Posted 4 years ago

tickle17

bump!

Posted 4 years ago

ian2

Make sure the use auto play is checked ,and then select the options below that you want .

Posted 4 years ago

tickle17

That box is checked ...

Posted 4 years ago

ian2

Try this it may solve the problem.

Click the Start button , click All Programs, click Accessories, and then right-click Command Prompt.
Click Run as administrator.
At the command prompt, type " net start shellhwdetection" without the Quotes and then press ENTER.
Restart your computer.

Posted 4 years ago

tickle17

Access is denied lol

Posted 4 years ago

germ-x

have you taken ownership of your system? You can try this link. Hopefully it corrects your problem

g-x

Posted 4 years ago

ian2

Take a look at this previous thread ,it deals with your problem.
AutoPlay

Posted 4 years ago

tickle17

I can't find "gpedit.msc" in Windows 7 home premium. :S

Posted 4 years ago

LH

It doesn't come with Home Premium or lower.

Posted 4 years ago

InterPC

As another suggestion you might want to give yourself full admin rights by following the steps here: http://www.tech-forums.net/pc/.....-a-197772/ but do with care.

Posted 4 years ago

GKI610

Does this have anything to do with installing 2 computers from the same disc, and Microsoft not being happy with it?

Posted 4 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.