The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

Windows 7 Audio/Record problem

(12 posts)
  • Started 4 years ago by steveg2a
  • Latest reply from raphoenix
  • Topic Viewed 1113 times

steveg2a

I am running Windows 7 on my new Gateway Desktop. You can see it here : http://support.gateway.com/s//.....7Rnv.shtml

Everything works great except for one thing-my microphone does not record properly. If I go into audio settings, and crank up the record volume, and boost it to +40db, I can hear my recording very quietly, but there is a lot of static noise from the boost I guess. I don't know how to fix this recording problem. There is nothing wrong with the headset's mic, because it works great on my Windows 7 laptop. Any ideas?

Posted 4 years ago

raphoenix

steveg2a,
---
Does audio setup have a choice of Front Mic and Mic ??
---
If so, try Mic for Default setting and configure.
---
IF you get a BSOD no worry, tis a "bug" on some systems that will be fixed in Service Pack 1.
---
Regards,
Rick P.

Posted 4 years ago

steveg2a

It does have a choice for front mic and back mic. I am using the Realtek HD Audio Manager. All settings are configured properly it seems. I do not get a BSOD. I have searched for so long on google, and no one has an answer that fixes my problem. I am quite confused.

Posted 4 years ago

steveg2a

Now i'm sure this is a huge stretch, but I might as well give it a shot. I recently install a wireless card on a pci slot. I have a 300 watt power supply. Could this card take power away from recording and reduce volume somehow? Don't judge if this is a really dumb idea.

Posted 4 years ago

Wevenhuis

1. Have you checked there is nothing wrong with the microphone?
2. Have you checked the connection of the jack in the computer (is it plugged in correctly)?
3. Have you checked the audio settings of the OS (I do not mean the settings of Realtek HD Audio Manager)?
4. Have you checked if the microphone is working correctly in the device manager of your OS?

Good luck.

Posted 4 years ago

steveg2a

There is nothing wrong with the microphone.
The connection is fine. It is plugged in.
The windows 7 audio settings are correctly configured. (As well as realtek settings)
The microphone is working correctly in the device manager.

The microphone works, it is just very quiet. Another strange thing is that it is at the proper record volume ONLY when I use skype. Every other audio application records very quietly.

Posted 4 years ago

steveg2a

Any help? Ideas?

Posted 4 years ago

raphoenix

steveg2a,
---
As I said in my first reply, I had the SAME issue with the SAME Realtek software.
---
Configure the (mic) as Default.
---
Right Click on the Win7 Speaker Icon, choose Recording Devices, Double Left Click on Microphone and Configure the Property Sheets TO INCLUDE LISTEN CHECK BOX, etc., etc.......... TO MUCH TO EXPLAIN.
---
EXPERIMENT WITH ALL SETTING - BOTH RealTek and Win7 - You Can Make It Work WELL !! :) :)
After you BSOD a few times because of feed back, you will find the correct settings for the DSP/machine. :) :)
That is what I did.
Wish I could give you exact 1, 2, 3... procedure but it just takes trial, error and Patience as the software is somewhat imperfect.
---
Regards,
Rick P.

Posted 4 years ago

steveg2a

Thanks Rick. I will keep on trying. It is getting somewhat louder. Would you recommend me just buying a new sound card? Would that be easier?

Thanks,
Steve

Posted 4 years ago

raphoenix

steveg2a,
---
Not really.
---
Did you force load the Vista Sound Driver in using Device Manager and point it to the first folder in the Sound Downloaded Unzipped File ??
http://support.gateway.com/sup.....m=1015747R
---
I used the Asus Vista Driver on this Asus Custom machine AND force loaded it in for Win7 32 and 64 bit.
Your machine may have (2) seperate different flies. One for 32 Bit and another for 64 Bit.
Be careful to choose the CORRECT Driver File.
---
Regards,
Rick P.

Posted 4 years ago

steveg2a

I actually went to the Realtek website, and got the windows 7 high definition driver for 64 bit, which is what i needed.

Posted 4 years ago

raphoenix

How do you know it is for the DSP chip(s) on the machine / MB ??

Posted 4 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.