The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

Windows 7 and Windows 8

(9 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by pepcyg
  • Latest reply from raphoenix
  • Topic Viewed 359 times

pepcyg

I have a Windows 7 Home Premium desktop PC which does everything I want it to do. However I notice that Windows is offering to upgrade Windows 7 to Windows 8 for $39.99 via a download if done before 1/31/13.
My questions:
If I take advantage of this offer - would I still have Windows 7 on my PC (as in a 'dual boot') - or - would it be either Windows 7 or Windows 8 but not both?

What is the consensus of the opinions on Windows 8 being an improvement on Windows 7 (I have heard both sides).

In view that I am a senior citizen and I do not want to risk my computer (it is my life-line) - but - I do want to stay current ---
should I take advantage of this offer?

Posted 1 year ago

ispalten
ispalten

Well, I too am a senior citizen, but with a lot of computer expertise/background.

Two things. First is IF you do buy the $39.99 deal, you CAN/SHOULD burn a DVD with the ISO image. Keep that and the License number. There is NO requirement you use the license or install at any specific time. If nothing else you have an investment if you should decide to upgrade later.

Second is you can do a Dual Boot with the ISO, it just isn't straight forward. Google 'dual boot w7 w8', you'll see many posts on this, like these for instance :

http://lifehacker.com/5840387/.....de-by-side
http://www.labnol.org/software.....oot/20939/

Note that in all cases you'll need disk space to hold both. Installing W8 as a 'fresh' copy also will NOT pick up any existing applications you have. You'll need to re-install everything you want/need to W8.

First thing I'd do is even SEE if W8 is going to work for you. MS has a W8 Advisor link where you go to purchase, at a minimum, RUN IT and READ it. If you have a glaring problem of some h/w or program not working, then maybe W8 isn't for you at this time.

Now as far as W8 goes, I've installed it over W7 on 2 computers. First on my wife's 6 month old Dell. It was a very smooth install and we did have some hiccups along the way. The USB Network device did not connect all the time. Eventually removing the driver and installing again (it had NO W8 driver) did fix the problem. Other stuff was just because things moved and 'new' ways had to be learned to do what you wanted. However, considering it was my wife with limited computer expertise, I think it went well. Her only LOUD complaint were programs LATER discovered not to work with W8. Even the Advisor said they would. We had 2 major hits, now basically resolved. One was her GameHouse games. A majority did not run in W8. However, support worked with her and found many just needed a re-install, and some, well, no way, but they would work on older games based on popularity. The other problem was Norton Ghost. It failed to authenticate. Fixed by getting Symantec's System Recovery Desktop 2013.

Since she had good luck basically I decided to plunge in on my 3 1/2 year old computer. Advisor said all was OK other than a few I rarely use and some needing re-installs. Again, W8 over W7 as an update. Smooth process. Now besides the Ghost problem I had a Network Card on the motherboard problem. Did not connect on boot, but would if disabled and enabled. 1 out of 10 times it did connect on boot though? Now it got 'edgy'. I probably needed drivers. Well, mine and my wife's machines are Dell XPS's. OK, I went to support for my computer, Dell had NOTHING for w8! OK, since my wife's was really just a newer model of mine I looked at files for her machine. They DID have a network card driver. However, RealTek who makes the device had a newer one, installed it and it didn't FIX the problem! Installed the older Dell one, and it DID. Moral, you may need 'special' drivers from your computer vendor. Check first to see if they have them.

On my machine I have an ATI display card... but when I installed W8, ATI didn't have a W8 driver, so Windows install its own driver. I lost some control over color and control I have with the CCC from ATI. A few days ago ATI released the W8 driver. Control back.

I now 'sort' of like W8. On both computers we've NOT had a BSOD and it seems faster and more stable. It does have some annoying features, like SMARTSCREEN, but almost anything can be turned off. Start Screen, don't need it, but I like it. Live Tiles suck up Internet resources if you enable them, but with 60Mbps D/L speed I don't even KNOW they are active.

I'd say BACKUP your W7 install via an imaging program and then install W8 over it. Try it for a few days. Don't like it, go back to W7, all it costs was $40 and some time.

I'm not going back on either computer.

Irv S.

Posted 1 year ago

whs
whs

As another senior citizen I got it. Could not pass on such a great deal. Here is what I did.

1. Installed it under VMware as a virtual system running under the Windows 7 host - instruction how to are here.

2. Activated it like a clean install - how to instructions are here

Now I can run both systems side by side and switch between them with one click. Nothing could be better. One of the VMware facilities is to share the clipboard. That makes it extremely easy to move files from one system to the other - just Copy from one system and Paste into the other system. External devices attach to whichever system is active. If e.g. you connect a USB stick to the PC whilst working in Windows 8, it will show up in Windows 8. If Windows 8 is not active, it will show up in Windows 7. Same for external disks, the cd reader, etc.

As to the question whether it is worth it: Windows 8 is an interesting system. It takes some getting used to but you can perform any Windows 7 task on it. There is not a lot more new function, but it runs faster than Win7. Since I am running my OS from a SSD, the performance difference is minimal though.

It comes with some interesting applications which, I guess, are mostly targetted at the tablet users. But they run well on the PC too.

Make sure you follow the instructions I linked by the letter. Then you will really enjoy it. My Win8 performance in virtual is the same as my Win7 performance on the real machine. But as I said, I run off a fast SSD and I have an i7 CPU and 8GB of RAM. I gave 4GB of RAM to the virtual machine, but 2 or 3GB should be OK too.

Posted 1 year ago

germ-x
germ-x

If your desktop qualifed you can get the win8 upgrade for $14.99.
Can't beat that

Posted 1 year ago

whs
whs

g-x, I think this is not the Pro edition - which you should have. Or am I wrong ??

Posted 1 year ago

germ-x
germ-x

I got the Win8 upgrade pro edition for the promo price of $14.99

Posted 1 year ago

whs
whs

Hmm, that's excellent. I paid the 39.95

Posted 1 year ago

germ-x
germ-x

I just purchased a another win7 Dell with the upgrade to Win8 for the promo price.

Posted 1 year ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

https://windowsupgradeoffer.com/en-US/Registration

For Builders, This $15 offer can be used for a modern MB also.

Just enter the manufacturer and Model Number of the MB where it says PC Model Number.

Don't put Other for PC Brand. :)

Start below for ALL Countries.
http://www.windowsupgradeoffer.com/

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Get Free Articles in Your Inbox!

Join 134,000 newsletter readers

Email:

Go check your email!