The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

windows 7 and HP printer

(5 posts)
  • Started 4 years ago by kab
  • Latest reply from InterPC
  • Topic Viewed 486 times

kab

For some reason my laptop is not detecting my printer any more. When i try to reinstall it with the disk it says i am not the administrator???

any ideas?

Posted 4 years ago

InterPC
InterPC

Try using 'Run as Administrator' from the right click menu on the install.exe or something similar from the disk when the disk contents is shown using Windows Explorer. I hope this helps.

Posted 4 years ago

kab

that is part of the problem too...i get errors that say i am not the administrator. But I should be it is my laptop-no one else. I can't figure that error out either!!! Can you help with that??

thanks

Posted 4 years ago

Colshy
Colshy

Howdy kab, have you just upgraded to Win 7? Was this previously working and stopped? If so, think of any changes you may have made.

You also might need to check the HP website for updated drivers. Please post the make and models of both your laptop and printer, and we can see what we can do.

Col

Posted 4 years ago

InterPC
InterPC

Ok, follow the steps here to enable the Hidden Administrators Account and then run the install disk in this account. After you have enabled the account you can disable it again. To answer your other question: By default in Windows 7 you can change files names, location, create etc. but you cannot change the files that are in the system. In most cases you can still install programs without a problem but there are the handful of programs that cannot install even if you 'Run as Administrator'.

Posted 4 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Get Free Articles in Your Inbox!

Join 134,000 newsletter readers

Email:

Go check your email!