SEARCH

The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

WINDOW VISTA TO WINDOW ULTIMATE (FILES) ???

(7 posts)
  • Started 3 years ago by macaw
  • Latest reply from warlock
  • Topic Viewed 425 times

macaw

hello,

i have a windows vista basic and im going to put on windows 7 ultimate. but when i do the upgrade and i know i dont have to custom the harddrive (erase). so, i should be able to just put in cd and select upgrade right? i shouldnt have to transfer files right? or even use a eay tranfer cable? ( i just want to make sure so i want lost files):0)

thxs for your help.....

macaw

Posted 3 years ago

TheBeard

it should be a pretty simple upgrade. some of your programs might glitch out, but for the most part itll be cool. i think it will still create the Windows.Old folder with all your files from before you upgraded. then you can pull everything from there.

Posted 3 years ago

TheBeard

Just make sure you DONT select clean/new installation!

Posted 3 years ago

LH
LH

And as we always suggest. Image your system to an external drive first, and test it works. When you do major work like this, you never can be 100% sure.
I would suggest,
http://www.howtogeek.com/howto.....p-utility/

Posted 3 years ago

macaw

ok ,thanks i will do a image , to be sure i wont lose nothing.

thxs, for reply

Posted 3 years ago

whs
whs

An upgrade install is a dog. You can be sure that you will have problems with your Win7. And I am not even sure whether you can upgrade from Vista Basic to Win7 Ultimate.

Save all your data and make a clean install ( http://www.sevenforums.com/tut.....rsion.html ). Your ptograms you will have to reinstall anyhow and moving your own folders should not be a big deal.

An image of the old system is always a good idea - just in case and as an additional safe place for your data.

Posted 3 years ago

warlock
warlock

Make sure you have an authentic version of Ultimate. Many pirated versions out there that do not work.

Posted 3 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.