The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 8

Window Snapping Issues

(4 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by lilsting10
  • Latest reply from Lighthouse
  • Topic Viewed 803 times

lilsting10

Note: Not about the Windows 7 feature to snap windows to the left-half/right-half/maximize/minimize using win key plus arrows.

http://www.ivanheckman.com/allsnap

As someone with poor eyesight Ivan Heckman's allSnap software (150beta) has improved my ability to work with multiple Windows Explorer windows on screen by x1000. I can easily snap them together. allSnap uses 'hooking' to snap windows together, which is only supposed to be used in debugging environments, but it has never caused any issues with other areas of my computer. Under Windows 7 32-bit (my main desktop PC) I can do this flawlessly no matter if I am resizing a window or if I am moving a window, it will snap to another window when it comes within 10 pixels of it.

I am having issues with the software in Windows 8 32-bit Enterprise N RTM (my laptop), whereby I can only get two Windows Explorer windows to snap together if I am resizing them, not when I am moving them. I have fired off an email to Ivan to see if he will be able to help, but in the event that I get no response I was wondering if anyone here knew of a way to solve the issue?

Posted 1 year ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

Looking at the link, it seems to be still in Beta for W7. For more info on 8, I think you will have to contact the author.

Posted 1 year ago

lilsting10

I know.... :(
I've shot the author an email, but I have a horrible feeling that I'm going to have to adjust to life 'after the snap'.

Since this software uses the debugging 'hooking' technique to accomplish it's goal of snapping windows to one another (as explained on the site) is there a way I can tell Windows/explorer.exe to use hooking / debug mode?

Posted 1 year ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

I have no idea. Maybe another member does, or I can search around a bit later.

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Enter Your Email Here to Get Access for Free:

Go check your email!