Hey everyone,

I'm running a new system I built myself. Here are the specs:
Mobo: Asus M4A78 T-E
CPU: AMD Phenom II x4 955 (Black Edition)
RAM: 8GB (4x2) Patriot Viper DDR3 1600
GPUs: 2x Asus EAH4670 1GB DDR3 PCI-e x16 (crossfire) --although I understand they should run at x8 since I'm using both slots.
HDD: 1TB Western Digital Caviar Black
Optical Drives: 2x Samsung DVD Super-Multi (OEM)
Honestly, it's pretty beastly and looks sick in a pretty Apeavia X Cruiser chasis with gratuitous numbers of blacklights.

Anyway, here's the problem:
I pretty much built the thing for Windows 7 (which I loved so much I'm now running it on the other 5 systems in my house--desktops and laptops but this is the only system having this problem). When I first set up the machine, everything worked perfectly and aero looked beautiful. After an update a couple of months ago, aero went away. When I download the latest drivers from Asus' website and install them, it comes back, but when I reboot, Aero goes away. I feel certain (after exploring many different things) that it's a simple matter of Windows wanting to use it's own driver for the GPU's rather than the Asus driver. I've tried this a few different ways including uninstalling the hardware and reinstalling it with the new driver, not uninstalling the old one and just installing the new one from the Asus driver package, and I've even tried physically removing one or both of them and then reinstalling them with the proper driver. No matter what I do, Aero works and then I reboot, and aero and all of it's pretty features go away. Granted, this machine is mostly for my roommate to play his videogames on and I use the other machines more for my research, I really want Aero to work correctly on EVERY machine we have as aero-peek, aero-snap and aero-flip all make online research (Lexis-Nexis, google books, and multi-thread searching) just a million times easier!

For the "TL-DR" crowd, the short version of my take on the question is: how can I keep Win 7 from throwing out the GPU driver I want it to use and replacing it with a stock video driver every time I boot up (which makes Aero functionality unavailable)?

Thanks in advance, everyone! I really appreciate any ideas anyone has on how to remedy this.

Posted 5 years ago