The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

Windows 7 with a 30" Apple Monitor

(8 posts)
  • Started 4 years ago by bcblair
  • Latest reply from GKI610
  • Topic Viewed 999 times

bcblair

I am trying to move from an old XP with an nvidia card to a Windows 7 64-bit and a new geforce 9300 nvidia card. I have run an Apple 30" monitor (which is called the Cinema DH Display) at 2560x1600 resolution for 4 years on the old system. It has run flawlessly but the applications are getting slower hence the move to 7 and just wanting to stay current. Problem: Win 7 will not allow (or the monitor will not run) at 2560x1600. It doesn't even recognize that as an option in the display settings (windows settings or nvidia control panel). I spent an hour on the phone with Dell. I have downloaded the latest drivers from nvidia and so did the dell guy after deleting all drivers. Nothing! Naughta! What's the deal?

Posted 4 years ago

ian2
ian2

Unless you are using a DVI or HDMI connection the max res is 2048x1536
If you are using The VGA connection you won't get 2560x1600.

If you are using the digital connections ,sorry not sure what to tell you.

Posted 4 years ago

GKI610
GKI610

Doesn't the resolution capability from the computer depend on the video card? Is this a new computer, or custom build? Can you give the entire model number of the card, ie, the letters after '9300'?

Posted 4 years ago

ian2
ian2

GKI610: Its a nvidia motherboard and the 9300 is the model it has built in graphics.
The resolutions I quoted are from nvidias web site.

Posted 4 years ago

GKI610
GKI610

Do you have the Apple Monitor's disc? If not, I don't think the onboard Nvidia chip can handle that resolution. The monitor's disc would tell the graphics resolutions that would work.

Posted 4 years ago

ian2
ian2

GK the Nvidia handles the resolutions I stated above,,with the full 2560x1600 only available when you use a Digital connection. ie: DVI or HDMI

Posted 4 years ago

mickeyblue
mickeyblue

maybe the motherboard needs a BIOS update.

Posted 4 years ago

GKI610
GKI610

If I read correctly, his old card in the old XP system did the 2560x1600 resolution for 4 years. Perhaps that card would do the job? Windows doesn't determine the resolution, it only shows what the card will support, right?

Posted 4 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.