The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Off Topic

Windows 8 Yes/No?

(49 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by Jafo
  • Latest reply from Xhi
  • Topic Viewed 2850 times

Jafo

Are you going to Windows 8 on release or hold out for Windows 9?

Explain your choice.

Posted 1 year ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

I'll stick with Vista, thank you very much.

Posted 1 year ago

StringJunky
StringJunky

I'll stick with W7 TYVM!

Posted 1 year ago

minigeek
minigeek

My current plan is to stick with Windows 7, as I really don't like the new Metro interface.

I'm hoping they split Windows into a desktop and a tablet version with Windows 9, but who knows.
If they don't, I'll either switch OS or attempt to bear it, while using a product like http://www.stardock.com/products/start8/.

MiniGeek

Posted 1 year ago

LadyFitzgerald

Win8: definitely not. It is probably great for tablets. For laptops with touch screens, it will depend on what the machine gets used for (in my case, it would be next to useless). For desktops, unless all one does is surf the web or make an occasional Word doc, it will be considerably less productive (in my case, totally useless). Touch screens aren't very ergonomic, especially for heavy users (even a touch pad is more practical for me and I hate touchpads). In my case, using a touch screen more than very occasionally would be painful due to adhesive capsulitis, aka frozen shoulder (maybe I can sue Microsnot for violation of the ADA?). There is no way I will ever use Win8 unless I get a tablet (and that is unlikely anytime soon). Even if I do get a tablet, I'll probably run Android just to snub my nose at Microsnot.

Win9 is still an unknown entity. At the rate Microsnot (or, in this case, Micro$$$oft) is pushing for an Applesque walled garden with cloud computing and renting software instead of selling it, I'll probably won't use Win9 either, preferring to run Win7 to its last dying gasp. Of course, if Win8 spectacularly flops for anything other than tablets (like I expect it will), Microsnot may take the hint and return productivity (default desktop, infinitely resizeable windows, etc.) to Win9. It's just too early to say.

If Micro$$$oft continues on its present path, I can only hope that someone will develop an OS that will be directly compatible with productivity programs that currently run on Windows.

Posted 1 year ago

whs
whs

No for the PC. There is nothing attractive that would make me spend money on it. For a tablet maybe - if I ever need a tablet.

Posted 1 year ago

GuiltySpark
GuiltySpark

Isn't windows 9 alleged to be 64bit ONLY.

Posted 1 year ago

whs
whs

What's wrong with that ?

Posted 1 year ago

CompWiz
CompWiz

Don't know what the problem is when you can switch to Windows 7 'look' in Windows 8...

Posted 1 year ago

GuiltySpark
GuiltySpark

I didn't say there was anything wrong with it.

Posted 1 year ago

germ-x
germ-x

@LadyFitzgerald, Very comprehensive reply.
I think M.S is hoping the younger generation is going to jump on windows 8.
Hopefully there are enough good old fashion computer users left that M.S will realize windows 8 isn't for everyone.
BTW running win7

Posted 1 year ago

Xhi
Xhi

I will be going to Windows 8 since personally I like to be able to answer folks questions. I need to learn it so I can help others. I currently have a computer with Windows 8 RTM on it and will buy a copy when this runs out in January. I currently keep four computers up at all times with XP, Vista, Windows 7, and Windows 8 on my three monitor desktop. (I retired my Windows 98 and Windows Millennium computers a year or so ago). I am always in line first to get my copy of every new operating system.

I am looking forward to something new and am saving my sheckles for a touch screen.

Posted 1 year ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

64 bit, not on my old hardware. Maximum 4 GB RAM. Thus waste of time.

Posted 1 year ago

XxChungxX
XxChungxX

NO NO NO

it has too much issues and problems

i recommend windows 7, although it is somewhat too secure,
but windows 8 is like a business thingy... highly not recommended

(in my opinion)

Posted 1 year ago

Superevil
Superevil

I'm getting a free copy of Windows 8 Pro through my job and instead of setting it on fire I'd be willing to trade anyone for a legit unused Windows 7 (any edition except Starter) license. I'm building a new computer and the last thing I want to do is cripple it by installing MyFirstOS 8. I won't get it until after Oct 26 and I'll post it for trade in the appropriate forum if someone is interested and it's cool with the mods.

Posted 1 year ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

I'll run both O/Ses on a Builder Machine but feel like Win8 will probably be better for Tablets with a touch screen in mobile type computing environments.

The new MS small miniature Windows PRO PC might work fine if the price is below $500 USD but don't think it will be and thus will have to fore go the luxury of such kit.

Rick P.

Posted 1 year ago

LadyFitzgerald

@ germ-x. My guess (and hope) is businesses will raise enough of a ruction to force Microsnot to rethink the direction it is heading. There are probably more businesses still using XP than those that have switched over to Win7. It's doubtful any IT personnel will ever recommend Win8.

Posted 1 year ago

warlock
warlock

I think we will use what we are accustomed to until we can't.

Posted 1 year ago

Superevil
Superevil

IMO Win8 is going to be Vista all over again. Remember when Vista first came out and everyone was demanding downgrades back to XP? The same thing is gonna happen with Win8, just watch.

Posted 1 year ago

warlock
warlock

Never used XP at home. Went from Windows 98 to Vista. I think when you have to you will adapt.

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.