The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 8

(Solved) - Win8-RP to Win8-RTM upgrade with cversion.ini hack

(8 posts)
  • Started 2 years ago by bmwbiker
  • Latest reply from bmwbiker
  • Topic Viewed 2667 times

bmwbiker

Has anyone tried the upgrade to RTM saving all your settings and apps from Release Preview using the cversion.ini hack? I've heard that it apparently works with no apparent problems, but I'd like to hear about others experience. If you're not familiar with the hack see

http://www.computerworld.com/s.....ews_to_RTM

Posted 2 years ago

Xhi
Xhi

I haven't used a hack, but I have used Windows Easy Transfer successfully.

Posted 2 years ago

bmwbiker

Thanks for your response, Xhi. Did you use it to transfer settings and apps or just personal files?

Posted 2 years ago

Xhi
Xhi

Just Files and settings, Apps must be installed.

Posted 2 years ago

bmwbiker

I did it using the install hack as described above and it worked beautifully -- saved all my apps, desktop modifications, and start menu configuration. I only had to reinstall a couple of non-standard items. What a time saver!

Accepted Answer · Posted 1 year ago

Fhirkin9
Fhirkin9

Does this hack require a previous Win license? Or did I waste my money on Win8 Pro OEM?

Posted 1 year ago

bmwbiker

@Fhirkin
You still need a Win8 product key.

Posted 1 year ago

bmwbiker

Lest anyone construe this hack as piracy, let me point out that the method requires a legitimate copy of an earlier Windows version (XP, Vista, or 7) and a product key to complete the install. However, if you have installed all your apps on RP and tweaked it to your satisfaction, the method saves a lot of time and effort. Nonetheless, the EULA is so broad and all encompassing it is probably a violation of that agreement. You are advised.

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.