SEARCH

The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 8

Win8 Backup Imaging of disks, which one?

(60 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by ispalten
  • Latest reply from whs
  • Topic Viewed 4617 times

whs
whs

I really don't understand the time worry. When the imaging starts, there is a 'hide' button. You click that and go on doing something else. Macrium then minimizes to the tasktray where you can always check progress or unhide it. But when it is done, it reappears automatically.

And regarding the wear and tear, I really do not think that this is a problem. The normal OS operation reads and writes a thousand times more each day.

Btw: I assume you know that you can schedule the Macrium images - e.g. at a certain time of day, or at boot time, etc. Just right click on the xml file and you will see.

An alternate backup strategy is to create weekly images plus daily restore points for the case that something happens during the week.

Posted 1 year ago

LadyFitzgerald

Ok, I was unaware that one could be using the computer while making an image.

Posted 1 year ago

whs
whs

Have a look at the last sentence I added to the above post - would that be something. Restore points take very little time.

Posted 1 year ago

LadyFitzgerald

I've had problems with restore points not working in the past. Besides, they don't help any if the HDD goes completely south.

Posted 1 year ago

whs
whs

That is a fair point. In a well maintained system, they do their job halfway OK. But if the HDD goes south, that is another problem. I use SSDs, so the risk is a lot smaller than with a spinner.

Posted 1 year ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

Nothing Better than Fast SSDs running in Raid Arrays.................. :) :) Overclocked Bus (LOL) (LOL)

Posted 1 year ago

whs
whs

Rick, one day you will get whiplash. LOL

Posted 1 year ago

hArLtRoN
hArLtRoN

Rick, your computer is just insane! LOL!

Posted 1 year ago

StringJunky
StringJunky

Irv:

V5 has been out a year:

"Macrium Reflect v4.2 and earlier are not compatible with Windows 8.

Also, please note that it has been over a year since Macrium Reflect v5.0 was released. This means that all support for version 4.2 has now ended.

If you wish to use Reflect with Windows 8, please upgrade to version 5. Along with Win8 compatibility, you also will receive a year of support and many new features (www.macrium.com/pages/features.aspx)."

On the subject of System Restore i think it's as good as Windows Imaging LOL! It's turned off mostly unless I want to try something out quickly (like testing to get rid of persistent toolbars for example) and revert it when I can't be bothered to reimage. :)

Posted 1 year ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

GTX 690s need H2O Cooling Bad........... (LOL) :) :)

Posted 1 year ago

LadyFitzgerald

My next desktop will have an SSD boot drive (SATA III) for Win 7 and my programs only. I'll only have room and SATA ports for one and still have room and ports for the number of data drives I will eventually want (SSDs are still too expensive for massive storage). Not using RAID will be simpler and I won't have to worry about little details like replacing TRIM. Besides, it will run 24/7 so boot times aren't a huge concern and loading programs won't take all that long. Heck, all but two of my programs (calibre and Media Monkey) don't take long to start up on my Win 7 notebook's spinner (and it's a 5400 RPM drive). I don't open calibre (the one that takes longest to start) all that often and, with 16 GB of RAM, I could afford to just let Media Monkey idle in the background when I'm not using it. Both take a while to start only the first time after booting the computer; after that, they start reasonably fast (keep in mind, this is on a spinner).

I just timed the startup time for Media Monkey on my notebook for the first time after booting it up and it took a whopping 13 seconds. Big whoop. Just a single SSD will knock that way down. Halving that time with a RAID isn't going to be enough of a difference to be worth the trouble and cost.

I just timed Media Monkey's second start up time and it was only 5 seconds.

Ok, I just checked calibre's start times. The first one was 48 seconds; the second one, six seconds.

Posted 1 year ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

You need Windows 8 if you're ever going to get that high boot time down for sure !!!! :) :)

http://windows.microsoft.com/e....._FPP_Light

AND these

http://thessdreview.com/daily-.....-capacity/

Posted 1 year ago

LadyFitzgerald

I am not the least bit interested in Windows 8.

I had this in mind for my SSD. At least it's affordable.

Of course, by the time I'm actually ready to build the machine, newer models will be out and prices already dropping (the 840 hasn't been out all that long).

Posted 1 year ago

whs
whs

That Samasung is a top rated SSD. There is also an 830 model which is cheaper and is just as good for the OS. http://www.newegg.com/Product/.....6820147163

If I were you, I would just get it and put it into your current system. You can always later transfer it to another box - maybe - that's how I ended up with 6 SSDs, LOL.

Here is how you install it and transfer the OS: http://www.sevenforums.com/tut.....ystem.html

Posted 1 year ago

LadyFitzgerald

There is also a non-Pro version of the 840 that is cheaper (and slower).

My only Win7 machine is my notebook. It has 262 GB on its 500 GB spinner and there is no way I would be able to cram my data, etc. onto a 120 GB SSD. The cost of an SSD big enough for the notebook is out of the question as is putting a drive in temporarily. Besides, it’s still under warranty so I don’t want to be messing with it.

My desktop is an XP machine. It’s not compatible with Win7. According to Micro$not’s compatibility program, it would run Win7 but only with restrictions; no Aero features at all, for example. I couldn’t care less about Glass. I could live without peek but there is no way I would do without Snap (I do have an aftermarket program that emulates Aerosnap in XP but I doubt it would run on Win7. Also, you can’t use TRIM in XP and I don't want to manually clean it up (I still remember the garbage collection headaches on my C64c). And, as much trouble as I have had with the desktop, I would just as soon not mess with it. I need to keep it running anyway while I get the new machine running.

As I said, if I just wait until I’m ready to build the machine, prices will be lower and there may be something better out for the same price by then.

Posted 1 year ago

ispalten
ispalten

Imaging can be a LOAD on the system resources. I know Ghost was not even noticeable when it was running on recent computers we have/had. Even a slow one by today's standards, a Core2-Duo 2.13 Ghz Intel with 7200RPM IDE drives and 2GB's of RAM running XP Media Center we never knew it was running. On the Intel i7's not noticeable at all until we try to shutdown when it is running, then we find out <VBG>...

The system load is what usually separates the backup programs. I'll see how Macrium is probably later today or tomorrow.

Irv S.

Posted 1 year ago

ispalten
ispalten

OK, installed it and ran a test imaging of 3 partitions on 2 physical drives under W8.

I've got some 'issues'. All having to do with the SYSTRAY... I did take pictures and here they are :

The ONLY difference between the 2, the first one DID NOT have ALL the icons to be shown on the Systray, the 2nd one did. You'll see I had Macrium open, that is the TASK tray of the TASKBAR. The SYSTRAY has expanded with a BUNCH of 'empty' icons'. If I go to the CUSTOMIZE I see MANY MACRIUM 'type' icons (not the normal ones but thin green bars on the bottom probably depicting progress). Once Macrium finished, the Systray returned to normal.

Did NOT see anything like this mention in the forums they have either?

Irv S.

Posted 1 year ago

ispalten
ispalten

POSSIBLE SHOW STOPPER for me...

Look HERE at the V5 Tutorial... it shows DSM, Disk Space Manager, that can limit the number of images per partition/drive.

I do NOT have this, is this NOT in the FREE version or another W8 oddity?

Irv S.

Posted 1 year ago

StringJunky
StringJunky

Just checked, it's not in the free version...you need to buy it to have that facility.

If that's a real killer for you download the trial version and see if that fits better.

Posted 1 year ago

ispalten
ispalten

Yeah, I didn't realize what Disk Space Management meant. Surely needed if you don't want to manually manage the backups it seems.

So now I'm back to thinking of the others as possibilities again, Acronis and Paragon, as well as what/if Symantec comes up with?

Irv S.

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.