SEARCH

The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 8

Win8 Backup Imaging of disks, which one?

(60 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by ispalten
  • Latest reply from whs
  • Topic Viewed 4617 times

ispalten
ispalten

Well, my old standby, Norton Ghost will not work on W8. Will NOT save the license number and Symantec has finally declared is doesn't work.

==========
Re: Ghost 15 on Windows 8 - Not supported
11-02-2012 05:33 PM

Symantec does not have a Windows 8-compatible version of Norton Ghost at this time. Ghost continues to be fully compatible with the Windows XP (SP3), Windows Vista, and Windows 7 platforms. Attempting to install or use Norton Ghost on Windows 8 may result in unexpected results, such as incomplete imaging.

Symantec recommends using Norton Online Backup to protect your important files in a secure, remote location in the cloud. Should you need to back up files using Windows 8, you can use the File History feature of the new operating system. And to refresh and restore your computer, users can use the Advanced Recovery Tools found in the Control Panel. For small businesses, Symantec recommends Symantec System Recovery to create full image backups of your PC. Symantec System Recovery 2013 is planned to be Windows 8 compatible and available in Q1 CY2013.

We will announce updates as they become available. Thank you for your ongoing support and interest in Norton Ghost.

Tony Weiss
Norton Forums Global Community Manager
Symantec Corporation
======

Since W8 has been released in preview and I'm sure Symantec has or had easy access to the RTM, I am quite surprised that they didn't have a fix available within a few days of release like they did for W7. W7's Upgrade Advisor indicated Ghost 14 would not work, but W8's said it would? Maybe a preview did work, who knows, but it took some period of time for Symantec to realize it didn't work. I'm not sure if there would be a Ghost 15 upgrade or a new product, but I don't think I want to work or have ANY real confidence at this time that the backups are really working.

Sooo... I'm considering switching...

There are 3 contenders here as far as I can tell, Paragon (will have W8 version 'soon'), Acronis, and Macrium :

PARAGON BACKUP AND RECOVERY 12
ACRONIS TRUE IMAGE 2013
MACRIUM REFLECT V5

I've got a few weeks to make the decision, assuming both Ghost is REALLY making good images and I can restore them IF there should be a crash, but I almost feel like I'd like to switch no matter what. Note that Macrium also needed an upgrade that cost as well.

What is important to me is basically a few things :

- When making a backup I can STILL use the computer with the backup process not being a large load on the computer
- I can restore individual files if need be
- Backup is completely automatic and if the computer IS NOT on when scheduled I'll be notified that a backup was missed or the backup will be done immediately after the first boot on a missed backup

I'm not worried about price, but I need 3 licenses probably, but 2 for sure as these will be the only systems that will be W8, the others will stay using Ghost 15. Of course, support and reliability are a concern.

Since there are many users of each of these here, I'd like some comments on each product and why it is better (I know, subjective) or if anyone has done the comparison and the reason to get one over the other.

I've obviously looked at all 3, and Paragon might add some new features with the new release, and the cost seems to vary from $70 to $90 USD for a 3 or 4 license version. Price alone isn't the consideration, but if all are equal I'd go for Paragon (assuming the W8 release is just as good and same price and released 'soon').

Fire away.

Irv S.

Posted 1 year ago

whs
whs

Irv, I would recommend free Macrium. It is easy to use, very reliable, easy to mount the images if you want to only pick a few files - and it is free. What else can you ask for. Here is a tutorial I once made with an added tutorial by my friend Keith that shows the recovery process. That should get you started.

And for the WinPE recovery disk, download the .iso from my Skydrive and burn it to CD. Avoids a 2 hour download of the WAIK. The CD can also be used for imaging in case you do not want to install Macrium. Don't use the Linux recovery disc. It is very limited in function.

Posted 1 year ago

StringJunky
StringJunky

These are the features of the paid version of Macrium; http://www.macrium.com/pages/features.aspx

Here's a 30 day trial: http://www.macrium.com/pages/downloads.aspx

As far as reliability goes I don't think I've seen a complaint here about it in that respect and I certainly haven't any with the free version but you need the paid version for some of the features you require. Apparently v5 is W8 compatible.

Tony

Posted 1 year ago

ispalten
ispalten

Well, the free version seems OK other than the support via e-mail and forum access? Still, that isn't work $90 to me... They sure seemed to hide that on the link I gave above, didn't they!

Irv S.

Posted 1 year ago

ispalten
ispalten

Tony, from WHS's links, here is the feature comparison chart for Macrium :

http://www.macrium.com/reflectfree.aspx

Apparently the only issue I see different would be 'support'. Not needed unless one hits a real problem. Unfortunately, when there is a new release of an OS and you are using it, also with a new release of the product, it could be needed? However, FREE isn't a bad price, is it? I thought there was a FREE version but I couldn't find it until Bill put his link up.

Irv S.

Posted 1 year ago

StringJunky
StringJunky

If you google Macrium Reflect Free it comes up.

If it misses a scheduled backup because the pc is not on you can pre-check a box to tell it to run next startup so that's automatically covered. I downloaded the trial version to have a look for you.

Posted 1 year ago

vistamike
vistamike

Best and safest, without confusion for Macrium Reflect; http://www.filehippo.com/download_macrium_reflect/

Posted 1 year ago

whs
whs

Irv, I would not worry about release transitions, etc. I use free Macrium since 4 years in Vista, Win7 and Win8 - and at various Macrium release levels. I never had a problem and never felt the need to get support from them. And if it really comes to an iffy question, there are plenty of people around that know the product.

Posted 1 year ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

I vote with (whs) and (Mike).

Free is good and one needs to learn to support themselves when it comes to technology.

Learning is a life long experience to the end.

Rick P.

Posted 1 year ago

afuhnk
afuhnk

What's wrong with :
Control Panel - Windows 7 File Recovery - Create System Image
?

Posted 1 year ago

whs
whs

That built in Windows7/8 imaging is not very good. It has no function, is very unreliable and does with you what it wants. You have absolutely no control over the thing. I had to bail out quite a few people who could not recover from those images. Here is how.

Posted 1 year ago

ispalten
ispalten

Yeah, since the Symantec thread pointed to that I looked long and hard at it... good for saving personal files it seems, but not a complete system. Yeah, one can make system images too, but it is all going to be either manual or scripted. Biggest problem would be restoration though.

I'll put the Free Macrium on and see how that goes. I'll save the last Ghost images (3 partitions over 2 physical drives) and the last W7 one off to another USB external and then set it up and see how it goes. I've used Ghost on this computer under W7 before so I know I can restore with it back IF the W8 images are OK. Maybe tomorrow I can do it before the wife gets up?

Irv S.

Posted 1 year ago

LadyFitzgerald

I've been using the free version of Macrium Reflect V5 on my Win 7 machine to make weekly images without problems (I can't speak for Win 8; I also haven't had to do a recovery yet). I'm strongly considering upgrading to the paid version mostly so I can do incremental daily backups in addition to the weekly backups (much faster than daily full backups). With the paid version, one gets full access to their user forums as well as their tech staff. One does not have to upgrade when a new paid version comes out but support will end (this does not apply to updates to a version; those are free).

Posted 1 year ago

whs
whs

LF, my advice would be to go with 'differentials' - not 'incrementals'. The problem with incrementals is that when you lose one bit in the chain, you lose the whole chain.

I prefer full images because they are much easier to manage. And I run my imaging in the background - like right now. That way it takes no real time at all. And disk space is so cheap, that does not really matter.

Posted 1 year ago

StringJunky
StringJunky

it says much that Norton is not ready for W8 and Macrium 5 has been out a year and is already W8 compatible. Macrium are clearly on the ball. With quite a few experienced users here coupled with its, so far, good reliability I don't think Macrium technical support is essential. Quite possibly Acronis and Paragon are very good but i don't think there are many here who could converse about them when things don't work or one is trying learn something about them...Macrium is the devil we know apart from Norton with one or two here....you being one Irv. :)

Whilst I remeber Irv, you can slide the amount of priority you want to give the image-making process so it doesn't swallow all system resources and slow it down when you are doing other stuff.

Posted 1 year ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

Again AGREE with (whs).

FULL image is the way to go.

Use (whs) WAIK version he made and loaded up on Sky Drive https://skydrive.live.com/?cid=475A0A48CA6D4035&id=475A0A48CA6D4035%211812

OR Make your own Bootable USB Stick that you can run virtually as a Ram Drive.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us.....px?id=5753
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us.....px?id=5188
http://images2.store.microsoft.....D-tool.exe

Rick P.

Posted 1 year ago

ispalten
ispalten

Tony, I never needed Ghost support, and I've been using it for years, I think since they started numbering then, but I did need forum access to ask questions and occasionally to find answers to some oddities. It looks like a KEY is needed to actually get into their forums. Heck, I'll buy ONE STANDARD if I need be I guess?

I don't know who 'messed' up with Ghost? Symantec or MS? I suspect a little of both. MS's W8 Advisor claims Ghost is OK, and Symantec it seems wasn't aware it didn't work? I'll assume this transpired and Symantec tested Ghost on a preview release and it worked and told MS it was good. Symantec then didn't see a need to test under the RTM since it worked on the last preview. MS however did change things between the preview and RTM, like try and lock out programs that went straight to the desktop. So who's fault is that? I'd say shared blame.

Don't forget V5 was released on Nov. 1st, I suspect V4.2 doesn't support W8?

@LF, I always do FULL images. With incremental or differentials restoration is not a single restore. If you are looking a for a specific file you'd have more files to look at to find the one you want. A more complicated restore for my wife. We do one week periods and save 5 or so of each drive. Yeah, takes space, but large drives are cheap. If something happens during the week the only important data would be some e-mails, and we have command files to copy all e-mails off. Same goes for other stuff put on the disks. One thing we do is move almost all but the OS off of C:, some usually it isn't a big deal if the OS goes bad to just restore that. We also always image the drive we're restoring so if something that was needed was missed we can get it back.

Irv S.

Posted 1 year ago

LadyFitzgerald

@ whs. I wanted to do incrementals instead of differentials because each differential includes all the new and modified files since the last full backup, meaning each one takes more time than the previous. Since differential includes changes/additions since the previous full backup, I was thinking the differentials would quickly get as big as the full backup. Since you mentioned doing differentials, it has dawned on me the total number of changes in a week aren't going to be all that great. So, when and if I do upgrade (I'm also about ready to pull the trigger on a color laser printer and spending tthat much money all at once makes me nervous, even if I do have it), I will look into doing differentials instead of incrementals. Thanks for the tip.

Posted 1 year ago

whs
whs

But if you have all that room on the HDDs, why don't you just make full images. That is a lot less troublesome - plus you need not pay for the Pro version of Macrium. Sounds logical, doesn't it ?? - LOL.

Posted 1 year ago

LadyFitzgerald

@ whs. I'm guessing you mean me (you posted while I was editing my post; the old brain works slowly). True, I have plenty of HDD space but full backups take a fair amount of time. Limiting the backups to once a week means if I have a HDD failure, I would lose everything since the last backup, which could mean up to a week's worth of data. That's why I want to do daily backups. Full backups on a daily basis take too long and put more wear and tear on the hardware, hence the desire for incremental (and, now, differential) back ups.

Other than a reluctance to spend a lot of money all at once, I'm not worried about the cost of the upgrade (even for two since I have two machines) since I plan on keeping Win 7 for a long time and I'm the kind of person who, as long as something is working for me, will keep using using it. Version 5 is fairly new, so it will probably be around for a while anyway so the upgrade will pretty much be a one-time investment.

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Enter Your Email Here to Get Access for Free:

Go check your email!