How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

(Solved) - Win7 update mangles BCD for dual boot system

(12 posts)
  • Started 3 years ago by CBelanger
  • Latest reply from CBelanger
  • Topic Viewed 708 times

CBelanger

Hello:

Yesterday I did a Win7 update and a AVAST antivirus program update and needed to restart. On reboot, the OS would not load.

This is on a computer which has had a dual boot system (although I no longer use the XP boot option).
The boot manager menu came up and the default option (Win 7) would not load.

After several hours of using BCDEDIT, I found the following:
1. There are 2 HDs on this system. C: is where the old XP system is; D: is where the Win7 system is.
2. C:\boot\BCD exists and is not hidden/system
3. D:\boot\BCD exists, but is hidden and system.
4. When typing in BCDEDIT the BCD it loads seems to be on D:

But....
In a normal startup, it looks like the system uses BCD on C:, because the reference to where winload.exe is, is off, it cannot find it and the startup fails.

If I insert a DVD/CD into the drive, the startup then includes the possibility of booting from the DVD (I just use the Win7 repair disc). I ignore that and then the boot menu is correct and launches Win7 fine.

I have tried deleting the C: BCD, but leads to an error where it does not see the C:\boot\BCD.

I have tried using the Win7 disc and it "fixes" the boot mgr file, but when I put in the Win7 Repair disc it uses the D:\boot\BCD, so the issue remains unfixed when re-starting. If I use a disc in the drive method of launching Win7 and then used EasyBCD to manage the BCD (mainly to remove XP as an option for booting), again it changes the D: BCD, not the C:, and the C:\boot BCD remains and so does the problem.

I did a system restore before the update. No change. I restored D: from a backup and of course no change.
I restored C: and still had the same behavior, but it was an old BCD so the menu was changed to Windows Vista, not Windows 7 as a selection. Again, if I have a DVD/CD repair disc in, the startup uses the BCD off D: and it starts up fine.

How do I correct this situation so I do not need a disc in the DVD/CD drive to launch Win7?
BTW, I still want the C: drive in the system, because I do access the data on the drive from the old XP system regularly, so removing C: drive and letting D: be the only HD is not an option.

Thanks!

Chuck Belanger

Posted 3 years ago

LH
LH

Hi Chuck. Is this any help,
http://www.intowindows.com/how.....up-repair/

Posted 3 years ago

CBelanger

Thanks, but that does not work.
I believe my post indicates that I used the Win7 repair disk to attempt to correct this. It re-recognizes the OSs, seeing only Win7, then makes the changes, but it is changing the BCD on D:, because that is what it sees when using a disc in the drive.

Here's conundrum: To use the command line and enter "bootrec /fixboot" I need to use the Win7 repair disc and for whatever the reason that means it only sees the boot info on D:, not C: so nothing gets fixed.
I'm not sure what would happen if I used an old XP boot floppy (which I do not have), but the BCD is a remnant of Vista days, so the XP boot will probably not help at all.

Not sure about this but, some how I have to delete not just the BCD on C:, but any reference to it during the boot/startup process. I have no idea where that reference is and why it looks on C:, not D; or why if there is a disc in the E: DVD/CD drive it sees only D:. Very strange. At least I found a way to boot my computer, but it is not right.

Any further thoughts or actions I can try?
Chuck

Posted 3 years ago

LH
LH

Do both OS's show up in msconfig > Boot ?

Posted 3 years ago

CBelanger

No, msconfig/boot only shows Win7.

I noticed on startup a quick flash of "Resetting boot drive..."

I tried copying the D:\boot\bcd to C:\boot\bcd, after attrib -s -h for both and making c:\boot\bcd -> bcd.backup then resetting attribs. This caused the system to load Windows repair which added a Win7 (Recovered) to the boot menu on C:\boot. Selecting either, Win 7 or the new entry, Win7 (Recovered) caused an error screen saying it could not load winload.exe.

Again, if I put in the Win7 repair disk in the cd/dvd drive everything boots fine to Win7.

At this point, I am not even trying to boot XP. But it would be nice to boot up without having a disc in the DVD drive.

So, what causes the system to look at C:\boot for the BCD when nothing is in the DVD drive? How can I change it so it looks at D:\boot\bcd instead?
Is this an issue about the MBR?

Chuck

Posted 3 years ago

CBelanger

Oh, one more thing:

When I entered bootrec /fixboot all it seemed to do is make the C:\boot\bcd file a system and hidden file. No change to the situation otherwise.

Chuck

Posted 3 years ago

LH
LH

It's been a while since I've done this. But I seem to recall using EasyBCD on the XP partition, and maybe edited the Boot.ini file.
I have a dual boot system here, can't test on it, cos I took some parts out to repair a friends computer. Lifes a beach (during a hurricane)

Posted 3 years ago

germ-x
germ-x

Whe you get win7 running look in disk management and see if your "D" drive is setup correctly. You might find your "C" drive is the bootable drive if so you will need to change that.
You can also download this and burn a CD > boot off the CD > repair your MBR
http://www.partitionwizard.com.....nager.html

g-x

Posted 3 years ago

CBelanger

Thanks, LH:

Good suggestion, but there was no Boot.ini (I have my file settings so that I should see system files), only Boot.bak. But in EasyBCD I did find a way to fix this.

Here's what I did to finally correct this (Thanks MSFT for the sleepless night!)

Load Win7 (with DVD in drive as mentioned).
Run EasyBCD.
click on BCD Deployment
in Create Bootable External Media:
Select the C: drive
Click on Install BCD
Add entry for Win 7 and point to the D: drive (H: while in Win7 for me)
Adjust delay time if desired (5 sec for me)

Every thing works fine now. :)

Accepted Answer · Posted 3 years ago

LH
LH

Great stuff :)

Posted 3 years ago

CBelanger

Thanks, Germ-x:
For future use I got the iso you suggested. I suspect this will be easier to use than loading the Win7 repair disc and using the command prompt.

I did check the C: vs D:/H: drive and the H: drive is set as the Boot disc.

Not clear on what to change in the MBR and since it is now working, I will probably leave sleeping dogs lie.

Not sure how a Windows update would have screwed this up either.
Chuck

Posted 3 years ago

CBelanger

Follow up for anyone following this or experiencing the same issue (after yesterdays Windows 7 update, on Restart, on a dual boot system with 2 HDD, the computer would not startup)

I decided to go ahead and re-install the very same updates, since I had done a system restore and an image restore to an earlier date. On restart once again it would not boot. I tried putting the Windows Repair disc in the drive and that did not work this time. So, I simply unplugged the power to C: drive and it booted and configured the new updates. After which the system could boot just fine after I attached the power cable to C:. Apparently, the configuring fixes the problem with the BCD, but of course, you have to be able to boot to allow it to fix it.

So, the easier solution would have been to temporarily disconnect the power to C:, boot, let Windows finish configuring. Turn off the computer and attach the power cable and startup. Everything was fine then.

Chuck

Posted 3 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.