The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

{Solved} Win7-took NO CODEC PACK advice-no streaming radio now

(9 posts)
  • Started 5 years ago by silverghost63
  • Latest reply from ScottW
  • Topic Viewed 1392 times

silverghost63

Under XP and Vista Ultimate, I have no problems with getting radio station streams. XP did not require any CODEC PACKS, but Vista did (INDEO and KLITE). Since you recommend NO CODEC PACKS, would you explain how I can get the various radio stations to stream in WIN7, and Vista Ultimate if I uninstall the Codec Packs currently on the Vista system??

Posted 5 years ago

ScottW

silverghost63, hello. I'm the guy who recommends against codec packs. Can you give me an example of a radio station that is not working for you under Windows 7? I'm streaming from Live365 under Win7 right now. I haven't installed any filters or codecs at all on this Windows 7 install.

Posted 5 years ago

silverghost63

www.1310kzrg.com, and www.wbap.com/listenlive.asp are 2 of many that will not stream. Both are asking for the WMP11 plugin, and even though it's installed, it keeps asking. I did forget to mention that all of this is happening in the latest Firefox browser. Under Vista Ultimate, without the Indeo and KLite codec packs, I have basically the same problem, so, for now, I've still got the codec packs installed. The 2 codec packs will not work under Win7, so I've uninstalled them in Win7.

Posted 5 years ago

ScottW

OK, I got KZRG streaming in IE8. When I try it in Firefox 3.5 b4, it wants to install the WMP Plugin. I want to know more about this plugin before using it.

Haven't tested WBAP, yet, but last.fm and Pandora are streaming fine in Windows 7 with no extra codecs or filters required.

Posted 5 years ago

ScottW

Now I have WBAP streaming in IE8 on Windows 7 RC x64. This install is only a few hours old and also has no codecs or filters added. It did require Adobe Flash to be installed. I don't have Firefox on the machine, yet, so I can't check it.

Both of these stations that you mention required lots of pop-up permission in IE8, and KZRG required a number of extra permissions from NoScript. I would say do your streaming of these stations in IE8 until you get more info on the WMP plugin for Firefox.

Posted 5 years ago

silverghost63

After reading your post, I did try out IE8, and YES, it did stream. And I had the same pop up permissions you did. But I also do not like using IEx for anything except Windopes Updates, so I am still trying to get Firefox working. Thanks for the tips.

Posted 5 years ago

ScottW

You could use IE Tab. :-)

Posted 5 years ago

silverghost63

Initially, IE Tab failed, but after probing around, I found out I had to enter the streaming URL into IE Tab, and it now works. Bad part is I have to enter the URL for each station I want to listen to. BUT IT WORKED. THANKS!

Posted 5 years ago

ScottW

You're welcome. I'm glad that you have a solution that works.

Posted 5 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.