The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

Win7 RC to RTM

(4 posts)
  • Started 4 years ago by rock42
  • Latest reply from InterPC
  • Topic Viewed 451 times

rock42

With March coming I decided to finally upgrade my computer from RC to RTM, I purchased a legal key a while ago. Last week when attempting to upgrade, and following the very simple work around on the sight, I found that my upgrade was stuck at 0% on "gathering files" (the second part). My computer was not frozen, I exited the installer and all programs worked fine. I read online that some vista to Win7 upgrades took as long as 20hours, I waited, maybe, one hour. If I must, and I hope I wont have too, I suppose I could wipe poor C drive.

Posted 4 years ago

InterPC

You cannot officially perform an upgrade from the RC to the RTM. It is best to save your personal files elsewhere and perform a clean install of the RTM.
Note: Some people who have managed to perform the upgrade from the RC to the RTM have reported that they are not getting the same performance as other users who performed a clean install. But if you are really keen to upgrade the RC to the RTM although not recommended try going here.

Posted 4 years ago

rock42

I was already aware that minor edits to the disc were needed, I riped the DVD to a hard disk to edit it. I suppose no one will be able to answer me as most people will be doing clean installs. If I must do a clean install, is their any way to insure that programs on a different partition will work with the new install?

Posted 4 years ago

InterPC

No, there is no way to insure that the programs will work unless there is any third party software that will allow it to.

Posted 4 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.