How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

Win7 Quick Launch Win Keys

(5 posts)
  • Started 4 years ago by bw78
  • Latest reply from Scott
  • Topic Viewed 1862 times

bw78
bw78

Is there any way to assign the win (win + 1, Win + 2, etc) keys to the quick launch in Win7? I know that they are assigned to the taskbar pinned icons, but I was hoping to restore familiar functionality from Vista.

I may just have to get used to the new interface, but if someone can help, that would be fantastic!

Thanks!

BW

Posted 4 years ago

ScottW
ScottW

bw78, hello. There is no quick launch toolbar in Windows 7. The taskbar now performs that function, and others. Pin the applications that you want to launch often, and easily by keyboard, to the taskbar and you can use the keyboard shortcuts Win+1, Win+2, and so on. The new taskbar in Windows 7 also acts as a window manager for the application, and can contain jump lists. It's kind of a melding of the old quick launch toolbar and the taskbar buttons that only performed window management, plus new features.

Posted 4 years ago

Scott
Scott

Hello bw78, welcome to HTG.

You can create a quick launch toolbar in 7 but the shortcut
keys as you know, will only open the pinned taskbar programs.
I'm sure a freeware utility (autohotkey?) will work soon enough :)

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto.....windows-7/

In 7 RTM:

Posted 4 years ago

bw78
bw78

ScottW,

Thank you for your polite response, but respectfully, you are incorrect. There is indeed a quick launch toolbar in Win7; MS just did not advertise because they wanted people to adapt to their new taskbar, which, as you said, was a melding between the two toolbars. I believe it can still be found in global settings, or can be activated using the hack Scott (Moderator) described above.

Frankly, MS got a LOT about Win7 right; it is a far superior OS to Vista (at least for user-friendliness). However, the new taskbar was not one of them. IMHO, it is a P*ss poor management system, with some active programs over here, some active programs over there, etc. QL is superior to the new taskbar, again IMHO. Ok, maybe not so humble...

Thank you again for your response, though!

Scott (Moderator) Thank you for the information! I will look for autohotkey in the near future.

GO WIN 7!

Posted 4 years ago

Scott
Scott

bw, in all fairness I use a combination of quicklaunch and pinned apps.
The rest of the bar looks like this, with the open programs pinned.

Maybe The Geek can find a way to have Win+ open QL ? ;)

Posted 4 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Get Free Articles in Your Inbox!

Join 134,000 newsletter readers

Email:

Go check your email!