The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

(Solved) - Win7 has no sound playing MPG files

(4 posts)
  • Started 4 years ago by abbynormal
  • Latest reply from abbynormal
  • Topic Viewed 1446 times

abbynormal

I upgraded to Win7 Pro X64. Now, when using media player, I have no sound when playing a MPG file and sometimes the video will jump forward and go normal with still no sound. All other types of files work OK, and with sound. I noticed at the bottom center of player where you have a big Play/Pause button, there is also a directional left and right buttons. The left button is pushed down and will not release. Called MS-support, talked to them and after an hour and a half, they said to find another media player and use it, enstead of MS's media player. Support marked case number not resolved. I have formatted hard drive and re-installed Win7 3 times now with same problem each time.

Need some help, Please!!!!

Posted 4 years ago

algotechie
algotechie

Probably the codec installed for playing the mpg files is either broken or too new. First try installing all the Windows updates to see if they include a fix. If that doesn't work, install a good codec pack. (Search for the phrase best codec packs, and download from an authentic site.)

Posted 4 years ago

mickeyblue
mickeyblue

codec packs are ok but you can also get VLC player it has all the codecs pre-installed and plays pretty much any file without hassle.
download from here its a good site and never had problems with any of their downloads.

www.apphit.com/download_VLC_Media_Player-215/

Posted 4 years ago

abbynormal

To all of you who answered, I thank you. To Mickeyblue, I got the VLC player and I'm very happy with it. It was rated today by CD-NET as the #1 FREE software program. I even got a skin that makes it look like a MS-media player HA HA HA. It's good to have my MPG's back. I'm thinking about going in Win7 and point all my file types to the VLC. I worked with some guy at MS-support for 1and 1/2 hours today and he is having MS-Win7 reseach team call me in the morning to see if they can fix their media player.

I'll reply later if they fix anything. I guess my problem is solved, thank you all again!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted 4 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.