How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

(Solved) - Win7 halmacpi.dll errors

(3 posts)
  • Started 4 years ago by edmenje
  • Latest reply from edmenje
  • Topic Viewed 10407 times

edmenje
edmenje

A co-worker's computer running Win7 has issues booting. The original Win7 CD is not available at the moment and I can only access the drive by booting a live cd. Here are the steps taken to address the issue so far:
1) Booted Ubuntu live cd and backed up her important files to an external drive so she could access them on her laptop while trying to repair the desktop computer.
2) Using a Vista install cd, ran repair option with command prompt and entered bootrec /rebuildbcd at prompt. Now Win7 os was able to be recognized.
3) On reboot error 0xc0000225 halmacpi.dll error was received (forgot the exact wording)
4) Downloaded halmacpi.dll and using WindowsXPE/BartPE CD moved it from flash drive to Windows\System 32 folder. Found the original file 0 bytes. Also replaced hal.dll which was also a 0 byte file with the one from my BartPE CD. ( while I had it running I decided to check if any other possibly related dlls were in the same situation)
5) Rebooted (now at least I am getting to the boot options screen) and now the error message is 0x0000428 cannot verify digital signature of file halmacpi.dll.
That's where it stands at the moment I hope someone can come up with a solution to this. I may just have to wait till she can get the install CD back from the person she lent it to and do a proper repair or full re-install, but it would be better to get this issue fixed asap. That's where it stands at the moment I hope someone can come up with a solution to this.
The computer is a Dell Dimension E520 running Win7 Home Premium.

Posted 4 years ago

edmenje
edmenje

An update: After the original post I booted WindowsXPE/BartPE and from there ran ClamWin portable from my flash drive. ClamWin came up with a number of infected items Can't remember all of the items in the log (I'm home now) but most seemed to mention a spoofed IP. I figured while it was down might as well run AV before continuing any further. Otherwise the situation remains the same as in my OP.

Accepted Answer · Posted 4 years ago

edmenje
edmenje

Well, she showed up today with the Win7 CD and repair restored the OS. I guess next week I'll run mbam to insure that the virus infection found by ClamWin is eradicated. Marked the thread solved.

Posted 4 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Enter Your Email Here to Get Access for Free:

Go check your email!