The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

Win7 64 bit Issue with Program Files path

(16 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by Kryclm
  • Latest reply from scorpion99
  • Topic Viewed 2129 times

Kryclm

I am having issues running software and getting "path does not exist" errors. I noticed that I have 2 Program Files (x86) folders. I understand that in Win7 you need to have two program file folders but shouldn't one be named Program Files and the other Program Files (x86).

For example (happens with other software also)
The error message that I am getting when trying to run google chrome from desktop shortcut or Start -> All Programs -> Google Chrome is...
"C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe
The specified path does not exist.
Check the path, and then try again."

I can go to the first occurrence of C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Chrome\Application and run chrome.exe just fine. When I click to see the real path I get

Somehow, I have changed the Program Files folder name and/or the paths that run the software. Any ideas how I resolve this? Thanks!

Posted 1 year ago

Kryclm

My image links didn't get written in the post...Sorry! http://members.shaw.ca/enthusiasm/Capture.PNG and http://members.shaw.ca/enthusiasm/Capture2.PNG

Posted 1 year ago

Xhi

One of those file folders named Program Files (x86) should simply be named Program Files.

Posted 1 year ago

drpepper

The Program Files folder is for 64-bit programs, and the Program Files (x86) is for 32- bit programs. The names and paths for both folders are important for Windows to know where to go to access programs to run them. There are other reasons, but they are not important in this discussion. You said, "Somehow, I have changed the Program Files folder name and/or the paths that run the software." Renaming the wrong Program Files (x86) to Program files can complicate the problem.

How do I know? A friend just got his computer back from a shop after trying to manually rename Program Files (x86) to Program Files and then trying to manually change back to the proper name without knowing which was which. He had no backups. Over $100 later his computer was operating properly.

Do you have a System Restore point from before this happened? Make sure you have your computer backed up before attempting any changes.

Posted 1 year ago

whs

If you muck around with the names of the system folders, you should expect trouble. Why did you rename the Program Files folder into Program Files (x86).

Just get the (x86) out of the first one and things should work.

Posted 1 year ago

ispalten

WHS, don't think it is that easy. First of all a RENAME would have a '(1)' after the filename. That means the USER probably didn't do that? TIMESTAMPS are the same too, so it was probably when the OP booted and something was written into the folder I'd assume.

You can try renaming one to PROGRAM FILES and see what happens, still doesn't boot correctly, switch the names, but I suspect there is more to this than a simple name change has happened?

I could be wrong though.

Irv S.

Posted 1 year ago

whs

The OP said:

" Somehow, I have changed the Program Files folder name "

I really don't know what that means. In any case, the OP mucked around with system files. Names do not change by themselves.

Posted 1 year ago

Kryclm

Well...I said "somehow, I have changed the Program Files folder name" because as it has been said in the above posts computers just don't do things on their own...so some action done on the computer triggered the rename. I did NOT rename the folder. I have no idea what that was and have retraced my steps and nothing out of the ordinary was done (that I'm aware of).

And yes...it is not an easy rename of the file. I know which one needs to be renamed I just have not found a way to change it.

So any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated

Posted 1 year ago

raphoenix

@Xhi,

You can Delete the Configure.Msi Folder in the picture above.

Posted 1 year ago

Xhi

@raphoenix:

But, but, but, it ain't broke and Xhi's Rule #1 applies.

Also I seem to have one on all 8 computers and If I did it for one the others would be jealous.

Posted 1 year ago

ispalten

What you need to do is RENAME one by adding something like .HOLD and then rename one to PROGRAM FILES, and then REMOVE the .HOLD. If that doesn't work, then ADD the .HOLD to the (86) file and rename the PROGRAM FILES to PROGRAM FILES (x86). Now rename the one with .HOLD by removing the characters from the back all the way up to PROGRAM FILES (including the blank before (x86). Hopefully that will work.

If it does, CHECK for MALWARE...

You will probably need to boot off of a DVD like the Windows Install DVD and do the renames.

Irv S.

Posted 1 year ago

ispalten

Oh, if you DO know which has to be renamed, just boot off of the Windows DVD and get to a command prompt. Locate your PRESENT C: (it might have a different letter) and do the change by removing the (x86) and you should be good to go.

Irv S.

Posted 1 year ago

raphoenix

@Xhi,

Configure.Msi Folder
http://www.pchell.com/support/.....lder.shtml

:)

Posted 1 year ago

Xhi

@raphoenix: Yes, I know it can be safely deleted, but I don't want to waste my time on a folder of Size 0 Bytes, 0 Files, 0 Folders. Not worth my time.

Posted 1 year ago

raphoenix

Whatever.. : ) :)

Posted 1 year ago

scorpion99

Do a system restore if you want

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.