SEARCH

The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows Vista

win32k.sys stop error, any possible solutions?

(12 posts)
  • Started 6 years ago by pipo
  • Latest reply from slowpok
  • Topic Viewed 9650 times

pipo

i've been having this stop error for a few months now. i can't seem to trace where the error is coming from because it occurs randomly.

from what i've read on other forums, possible causes might be from insufficient RAM, faulty RAM or faulty OS installation. i'm a little skeptical that it's coming from the RAM because i have 2GB of RAM and i had the RAM installed when i bought the laptop (unless the vendor gave me an old/defective stock). i'm not sure if it has anything to do with it, but i've tried running vista's memory diagnostic tool and no problems/errors have been found.

one other possible solution that i read somewhere is to update the BIOS. although, i'm a little skeptical doing it, because i've been known to muck up things like that (lol).

anybody have any possible solutions or at least how to find the cause?

Posted 6 years ago

Scott

You can fish around your Event Viewer, check to see what happens immediately before the error comes up.

Posted 6 years ago

whs

Hi Pipo, Download Process Explorer from here: http://www.microsoft.com/techn.....lorer.mspx Next time the error occurs, start PE in a small window. Drag the Icon that's on top of PE to the right of the binoculars (under Help) over the error message. PE will light up in pale blue which process is the cause of the error.
Give it a dry run first. You can pull the Icon over any window/message and it will tell you the origin. Suggest to put PE into "Quick Launch" to have it handy.

Posted 6 years ago

pipo

thanks scott and whs.

@whs
i don't have my laptop at the moment, but i'll definitely give that a try.

when you said, "Next time the error occurs, start PE in a small window," do you mean after i reboot my computer? because when the error occurs, a blue screen appears (or is there a tweak to supress the blue screen?). i was able to make the blue screen stay displayed, i read it in one of the threads here.

Posted 6 years ago

whs

Well, I was not aware of the blue screen because I think you did not say. I sincerely don't know how to use PE with a blue screen because you may not able to launch PE. Try to play around with it, maybe there is a way. I never had the situation with a blue screen. Download PE anyhow - it's neat. You'll see. In any case, it will only work as long as a message box is on the screen and PE (the Icon I described) can be dragged over it.
PS: I have no clue how to supress the blue screen.

Posted 6 years ago

pipo

@whs
thanks, as always, i bow to your technical expertise. ^_^
sorry, i thought stop errors and blue screen errors were the same thing.

ok, my next question to anyone, is there a way to supress a blue screen to be able to use Process Explorer?

Posted 6 years ago

The Geek

The blue screen of death is pretty much the end of that windows session until you reboot. There's no troubleshooting at that point.

You should make sure that you turn off the auto-reboot after the blue screen happens, and then write down everything relevant off the message(and share with us): http://www.howtogeek.com/howto.....ic-reboot/

Typically blue screen errors are a result of either faulty drivers or faulty hardware. Sometimes very low-level software can cause the problem as well, but it's usually because that software has a driver/kernel component.

You can still check event viewer and see if there are any serious errors under the system section. Something might record an error before it crashes the computer.

Here's some more information from Ed Bott:
http://www.edbott.com/weblog/archives/000576.html

Posted 6 years ago

pipo

thanks, mr geek. now i remember, that's where i got the info on how to be able to get the error. the other link you've given looks promising, thanks. ^_^

<edit>
now that i've realized i've mixed up my computer terms, can anyone please clarify what the difference is between a stop error and a blue screen error (BSOD)?

Posted 6 years ago

whs

Here some explanation of Stop Error: http://www.easydesksoftware.com/stoperrors.htm

Posted 6 years ago

jd2066

Here is how I understand the terms to be:
Stop Error/Blue Screen Error/Blue Screen of Death or BSOD all mean the same thing. The proper term is a "STOP Error". Some people who see it call it a "Blue Screen Error" as it's a blue screen with an error. It's usually called the Blue Screen of Death or BSOD as when a STOP error happens everything in Windows but the error display is shut down so it's your current session is over. In some cases if the error keeps happening when Windows boots the Windows install could be beyond repair and need a complete reinstall.
Windows does that for safety reasons. It would not be good to keep running if the error was caused by something like a RAM problem.
I try to call it "Blue Screen Error" on this forum as not all users will recognize the term "STOP Error".
I don't really like the term "Blue Screen of Death" as it sounds a bit hopeless like one it appears Windows is not going to work again but in most cases the problem can be fixed. Also a lot of people use it as a reason to blindly hate Windows when most of the time it's non-Microsoft drivers or hardware that cause the error and other Operating Systems have there own equivalents to a STOP error.
Though that is only the case for Windows NT/2000/XP/Vista.
In Windows 95/98/ME there were some cases where a Blue Screen error appeared and Windows shutdown for things that weren't really STOP errors.
In those cases it was a legitimate complaint against Windows but now a days with Windows XP/Vista the fault for the error is not normally a bug in Windows.

Posted 6 years ago

slowpok

pipo....did you ever find the problem, I have the same....

Posted 5 years ago

slowpok

I fixed mine...it was and is a bad memory slot. I'm going tomorrow and buy a 2gig and use it in the good slot. I hope this lasts, The motherboard is only six months old.

Posted 5 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.