The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows XP

Win XP Pro + Multi Core Question ...

(8 posts)
  • Started 6 years ago by tiggeeerr
  • Latest reply from Lighthouse
  • Topic Viewed 1151 times

tiggeeerr

I know in WIN XP Pro you can assign tasks to run on specific cores. My question is 2 parts ...

1) Is there any real benefit to actually doing this? Say assigning AV,Firewall software to specifically run on CORE 2 (aka 1 in a 0 + 1 assignment)?

2) If I assign stuff to run on a certain core will it remember which core to run on at the next start up?

Thanks
Tigg

Posted 6 years ago

tiggeeerr

PS I am sure this has been asked before in some form I just cant come up with a suitable search for it. So .. if someone has a link to a response it too woudl be greatly appreciated.

Posted 6 years ago

taybay
taybay

To assign tasks to run of specific cores, open the task manager, find the process you want to assign, right click it and select "set affinity."

There really isn't much benefit to changing a process's affinity. The only time I have ever done it is to troubleshoot some video software that was lagging.

Posted 6 years ago

tiggeeerr

I know how to change them. But you did answer 1 question.

The 2nd question though was if I set it will Windows remember the settings upon reboot?

Posted 6 years ago

taybay
taybay

Ah. Right. I'm pretty sure it will remember upon reboot.

Posted 6 years ago

jd2066
jd2066

Actually, I think affinity is one of the process settings that does not get remembered on reboot.

Posted 6 years ago

taybay
taybay

Well dang. I guess that goes to show that it's not a very useful tweak.

Posted 6 years ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

Affinity may not be remembered but Infinity is (just not quite yet)

Posted 6 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.