The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

Win 7 system restore sucks

(7 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by Noel8
  • Latest reply from Noel8
  • Topic Viewed 745 times

Noel8

Used it today for the first time and got a message that it did not restore the date I chose because possibly I have an anti-virus program. I disabled the virus program and tried again and still get that message. It also says that I should troubleshoot my entire system to find the reason why. In XP OS, I don't recall ever getting notified before choosing a date that to make sure my Firewall and/or anti-virus programs are disabled. Does one have to go through all this if and when one decides that they have to do system restore in Win 7?

Posted 1 year ago

Xhi
Xhi

What happens if you take a system restore point then immediately try to restore it?

What antivirus and firewall are you using?

I have not had any trouble on many machines, so it must be something specific to your configuration.

Posted 1 year ago

Ruja

Windows 7 System Restore doesn't suck at all. You probably have problems that are severe enough to prevent a restore. Try opening a command prompt as an administrator and run:

sfc /scannow

Then try to restore your system.

Posted 1 year ago

Noel8

Well, the problem that existed and compelled me to try system restore has been resolved, without the benefit of doing a system restore just to prove a point..but I will keep your suggestion in mind, if and when I have to resort to system restore again. Thanks

Posted 1 year ago

nagidar

Use Tweaking Registry Backup much better

Posted 1 year ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

I can vouch for Tweaking.com Registry Backup. Have been using it for a while now.

Posted 1 year ago

Noel8

I checked out the site recommended for Tweaking.com and Shane says its rather difficult to try and repair System Restore, but he's working on it.

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Enter Your Email Here to Get Access for Free:

Go check your email!