How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

Win 7 system-problem connecting to internet

(4 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by sanjayadixit
  • Latest reply from ispalten
  • Topic Viewed 337 times

sanjayadixit

Hello Everyone,

I have been using windows 7 ultimate in my laptop, recently I am having issues connecting to internet from my laptop.
I switch my wifi on, it simply does not show any wifi in the range, while the same wifi is being connected to other laptops and phones. Well the problem is not just limited to wifi, rather connecting to the internet as a whole since it failed to access internet even when I tried connecting it with the LAN cable internet.
This has happened a number of times within a week, and when I am lucky once I restart the system, the problem resolves on its own, however, this problem seems to be increasing and giving more problems........
Has any one experienced similar problems ?? could it be attributed to some sort of virus.
I tried searching for similar problems online but could not find any solution, hence am posting this here.
I use MSE as my antivirus.
How can this be solved, please do pass on your ideas.
Thanks

Sanjaya

Posted 1 year ago

vistamike
vistamike

I doubt you attribute this problem to a virus.

I would unplug the router from the mains and leave for 10 mins. Plug in the router and wait for it to boot.
You could also try resetting the router from the rest button on the rear.

Mike

Posted 1 year ago

sanjayadixit

Thank you Mike for getting back so fast.
It isn't that the laptop is not connecting to the net at all times, just that at sometimes, it gives a hard time connecting, more so when I am at work, where all other friends are being hooked to the wifi and my laptop does not even show the signals. Since other periperals are working under the same wifi, it does not prove useful asking back at office to switch off the router, reset and all, you can guess the obvious, all other people for whom it is working normally may be mad at me for cutting off the net connections....
Since it is something that happens at times only, while other laptops and phones are still wonderfully connected and enjoying internet, just then my laptop seems to malfunction, at times not showing any wifi signals in range and not even taking connections from LAN wires.

I know it sounds quite weird, thats must be the same reason why I could not search for its options online.
Thank you again

Posted 1 year ago

ispalten
ispalten

It could be the Network 'card'. Is it built-in or are you using a USB one?

I had a 'balky' LinkSys AE2500 that didn't always connect or see the 2.4Ghz SSID under W8. Tried all sorts of things. Router resets, device removal and putting it back in. Nothing worked well. What I did find is that under the NETWORK AND SHARING CENTER, CHANGE ADAPTER SETTINGS, that if I DISABLED and then ENABLED the device it worked fine? That made me thing it was a 'timing' issue between the device and the OS. So I went searching for drivers. Found a newer one than I had been using. That fixed the problem, but the speed was low and variable. Switch to the 5Ghz SSID and it was rock solid.

Check the Laptop vendor for newer drivers, or if you can determine who provided the built-in device, that vendor's site.

Irv S.

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.