The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

Windows 7 Service Pack 1 Install Experience thread

(87 posts)
  • Started 3 years ago by vistamike
  • Latest reply from rothenbj
  • Topic Viewed 35773 times

greebal

I installed SP1 following the instructions from here.

http://www.brucebnews.com/2011.....ce-pack-1/

No probs installing and no probs so far.

Gary

Posted 2 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

Just as I posted method right above your posting. :) ;)

Posted 2 years ago

greebal

My apologies Rick, I have no excuse.

Gary

Posted 2 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

Gary,

NO apology required.

Your posting with the article backs up what I posted :) :)

Regards,
Rick P.

Posted 2 years ago

kamcs

Well, I updated to SP1. It was optional as mentioned many times, but my computer was acting weird so I just did it. Ill be honest, this has really made me mad lol. Not only did it SLOW my computer down, but now a lot of my programs I installed are not working. So now, I have been running around trying to figure out what my old SP was (anyone know how I can find this out?). As soon as I find out, I am definitely going back to whatever SP I had.

By the way: Dell Inspiron 1545 with Windows 7 Home Premium (just in case someone can help me revert back to the OLD SP!)

Kristi Ambrose

Posted 2 years ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

If you updated to SP1, then you didn't have an SP before. Your best bet is a clean re-install with a Windows 7 Home Premium disk.

Posted 2 years ago

rothenbj
rothenbj

This thread seems to have died off, but my experience in May 2012 was the same as many in the past. I should have come here and forgotten about the attempt. I tried the install my Gateway badged Acer netbook (EC19C07u) was not shutting down and I read somewhere that SP1 would fix that. They were right. After the update crashed and set me back to re-installing to original Win 7 OS (only option I found that would get me back up and running).

I don't understand that I run auto updates and that doesn't even try to offer SP1 as an update. My notebook has SP1 installed and it was done automatically and seamlessly. The good thing, other than the 48 hours wasted is that the system now actually shuts down normally and runs better than new. I have no intention of trying the update again unless I find that it's really needed and I read that it's totally reliable as an update. I'll also insure that I have a restore-able image just in case. That was no fun.

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Enter Your Email Here to Get Access for Free:

Go check your email!