Windows 7 Service Pack 1 Install Experience thread

(87 posts)
  • Started 3 years ago by vistamike
  • Latest reply from rothenbj
  • Topic Viewed 35773 times

raphoenix
raphoenix

Harry,

Is a strange set of of circumstances indeed.

Because of your bad experience, I suggest the following.

The BEST way to install SP-1 is to make a (Slipstream) installation DVD.

Setup HD Geometry First and then do a Clean Install from scratch with the [ integrated ] installation DVD.

Unless by chance one has a really odd-ball computer, this method is almost full proof just like
with old XP slipstream service pack installations.

http://www.intowindows.com/how.....n-dvd-iso/

I'm going to have to make and post a more [ up-to-date ] tutorial when I have time and am feeling better.

May be on a New "Sandy Bridge" Rig !?!? (LOL) :) :)

Rick P.

Posted 3 years ago

anthonywerner
anthonywerner

Sometime after my SP1 installation, I had an issue where Windows Media Center Scheduler Service would not start with Windows, even though it was set to automatically start up. This meant my TV shows did not get recorded when WMC was not running. I tried several things, and finally decided to reinstall windows from my Windows 7 DVD (not the clean install, the "upgrade" install that saves my progams and settings).

Unfortunatey, with SP1, it refused to run that installation, saying I had a "more recent version of Windows." I also was unable to reinstall SP1 from install DVD I had downloaded. It said SP1 was already installed.

So, I had to ininstall SP1, and then I could do the update install from the Windows 7 DVD; after which I reinstalled SP1.

The moral is, if you want to reserve the right to reinstall Windows without the "clean" install which destroys everything, you should not delete your uninstall files for SP1.

I'll let you know whether this solves my WMC problem.

Posted 3 years ago

anthonywerner
anthonywerner

The reinstallation of Windows 7 (not clean install) and of Win7 SP1 did not solve the problem in which Windows Media Center Scheduler Service would not start with Windows. The only way to ensure it is running is to go into Services and start it manually, or to start WMC. Upon doing that, my scheduled recordings start in progress at the time I start the service or WMC.

P.S. Scheduler service also was unreliable in starting after the new Win7 installation prior to installing SP1.

Posted 3 years ago

AtaRobert

I get a problem when installing to shame I can have it on my pc cause it just won't install.

Posted 3 years ago

LH
LH

AtaRobert. I don't understand your post. Please can you start a New Topic, and explain what you mean.

Posted 3 years ago

AtaRobert

I get a error code when install the new serivce pack when I'm on my pc next I will post the subject since I'm going on holiday to spain taking my iPad since they have wifi.

Posted 3 years ago

Lilndn

Did my SP1 x64 10 days ago and all went well and it has been playing nice, so far.
FTW < Freedom Thru Wisdom >
Lil_ndn

Posted 3 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

Not to enter into the controversay but I DISAGREE with Woody Leonhard and many others.

Win7 SP1 and ALL following Updates SHOULD be installed as they contain O/S Kernel Fixes.

As most know, I run a Super Clean Perfect older machine and have not had to ever re-image system since Win7 initial installation in December 2010.

This does not mean that others will not have problems if they are running out-dated versions of Office or
other non-conforming software.

I'm NOT a "Fanboy" of any O/S but I do think MS is making great efforts to over come the problems they encounted with the release of Vista and not repeat their same mistakes with Windows 7.

==========

To fix the update process would be simple matter.

Just have an internal timer that initates an information pop up every so many days to check for updates.

When the computer visits the MS Manual Update Site, the timer would be re-set for another period whether or not any updates were downloaded or installed.

For those that Never wish to visit the MS update site at all, there would be a button on the information pop-up to change a registry setting to never see information update pop-up again.

Thus it would be up to the owner of a machine whether to update the O/S or not and the Automatic Updates Feature could be done away with completely.

Rick P.

Posted 3 years ago

bluesburgh
bluesburgh

Ok...gonna try to tell yinz what happened to me.....I bought a Gateway laptop with and AMD....Long story short, as soon as i got home i put activated Win 7 R2 Ultimate on....immediately found SP1, and after a looonnnggg download, it went through the install....after a shutdown and configuring to 30%, restart and tried to configure the rest of the way, and it stopped, reverted changes, and restarted with a failed install of SP1.....I did this about four times over the course of 3 days. So, before I could even see how powerful the new beast was, I was fiddling around with a Service Pack that I personally can't tell the difference between my old machine without and the new one with...The new one even has 2 more Gb of RAM, and I don't think or haven't noticed any big importance of installing it..But, if i do notice something, I will be sure to retract everything here....Thanks Billy Gee.....

Posted 2 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2 Service Pack 1

Not sure what you have with R2 ????

http://www.microsoft.com/oem/e.....1_download

May be this would be helpful.

Rick P.

Posted 2 years ago

Straspey
Straspey

There are some updates for Windows 7 - one in particular - which is required BEFORE you can successfully install SP1

From the Microsoft Support Page:

"Step 3: Install Windows Update KB2454826

Install Windows Update KB2454826 from Windows Update (http://www.update.microsoft.com/) if it is not already installed. If you install the service pack from the Microsoft Download Center and do not install Windows Update KB245862, you could encounter a Stop error in Windows in rare cases.

Windows Update KB2454826 will automatically be installed when you install the service pack by using Windows Update. However, Windows Update KB2454826 is not automatically installed when you install the service pack from the Microsoft Download Center.

To check whether Windows Update KB2454826 is installed, click Start, type View installed updates in the Search programs and files box, and then press Enter. Notice whether Update for Microsoft Windows (KB2454826) is listed. If the update is not listed, you will have to install it from Windows Update (http://www.update.microsoft.com/) ."

You can read more here:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2505743

I would recommend that you be sure you have all the required updates before attempting to install SP1 again.

Posted 2 years ago

ridgerunner114

Tried again yesterday twice both times windows update said update successfull. Problem is both times booted up to black screen once in my regular and once in administrator. Thinking about uninstalling Ati 5570 first then reinstalling after.When i updated Ati got msg. could not locate inf. driver but still appears to work ok. What do you think?

Posted 2 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

Appears there were some driver issues with this card before SP1.

http://superuser.com/questions.....blue-scree

The Video Card is very Good.

Just have to find the correct driver from ATI.

Posted 2 years ago

ridgerunner114

ra, i did not mention that i unistalled sp1 and have no problems with computer except when i install sp1. All video works great including youtube. The ATI control panel works great as i continued to install after being warned about the missing driver.I still want to install sp1 as i know in the future i will have to have it.
Thanks hope for your help.
Charles

Posted 2 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

ridgerunner114

Well success finally. Looks like my hard head got in the way, i finally restarted then went in and turned off AVG,ZONE ALARM AND SUPER ANTIVIRUS and then went to downloads check marked sp1 and worked like a charm. I apologise raphoenix for putting you through my laziness and i am embaressed.Hope you will help me in the future when i need help.

Thanks Charles

Posted 2 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

Charles,

NO apology needed. :) :)

Is my fault for not posting that folks should Disable all Real Time AVs and Reboot before attempting SP-1 installation.

Will be glad to help you any time. :) :)

Just glad hear that you got everything worked out.

Rick P.

Posted 2 years ago

GraveDigger27
GraveDigger27

Had the devil of a time installing SP1 on my Windows 7 Home Premium 32-bit box when it first came out - it had an issue with my installed iTunes program (wouldn't allow me to sync my iPod touch with the updated OS). I tried several times and had to fall back on a disk image (pre-SP1) of my system to regain the ability to sync my apps and downloads. About six weeks later I did a clean install of the OS, updated the program with ALL of the fixes to date and then installed SP1. Then I installed all of my applications and other programs (including the iTunes library that I had backed up to DVDs). Everything worked fine from that point onward.

I recently built a new system, installed Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit and followed the same process (including installing my applications and other programs AFTER I had installed SP1). No problem so far (it's been over a month now) and it looks like either Microsoft or Apple resolved whatever issue existed between the programs.

My recommendation is to WAIT to install a Service Pack if you can (let someone else play trail-blazer if they want) or if you choose to go ahead with the installation, make sure you have a current, updated backup or disk image (I use the free version of Macrium Reflect) of your ENTIRE system BEFORE you install the Service Pack.

Posted 2 years ago

tiny122

Tried to upgrade to SP1 Machine crashed half way through now when you start it up it gets half way through the registry update and hangs !!!

Marvellous, how to destroy a laptop in one easy step !!

Posted 2 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

tiny122,

Sorry to hear about your bad experience.

BEST procedure to install Windows 7-64 SP1 on a Laptop:

1. Clean Restore Machine Back to Factory Condition.

2. Install Update Windows6.1-KB2534366-x64.msu

3. Install windows6.1-KB976932-X64.exe SP1

BEST procedure to install Windows 7-32 SP1 on a Laptop:

1. Clean Restore Machine Back to Factory Condition.

2. Install Update Windows6.1-KB2533552-x86.msu

3. Install Update Windows6.1-KB2454826-v2-x86.msu

4. Install windows6.1-KB976932-X32.exe SP1

Rick P.

Posted 2 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Get Free Articles in Your Inbox!

Join 134,000 newsletter readers

Email:

Go check your email!