How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

Windows 7 Service Pack 1 Install Experience thread

(87 posts)
  • Started 3 years ago by vistamike
  • Latest reply from rothenbj
  • Topic Viewed 35773 times

raphoenix
raphoenix

When confident that the SP-1 is running perfectly and one wants to remove the Installation Backup Files:

1. Defrag the Mechanical Hard Drive to Zero Fragmentation.
2. Reboot
3. Open an Administrative CMD Prompt.
4. Type or Copy this command [ dism /online /cleanup-image /spsuperseded ] without brackets.
5. Let the remove process finish and receive the Completed Prompt.
6. Close all and Re-boot.
7. Defrag the Mechanical Hard Drive to Zero Fragmentation.
8. Reboot.

Posted 3 years ago

Seasider
Seasider

@ raphoenix. I was going to remove it using Windows Disk Cleanup. Would it make a difference?
Download and install took 1 hour 20. No problems I can see. Defrag check came back as minimal, ran anyway. I'm waiting for the bomb to go off. lol

Posted 3 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

@Seasider,

To be truthful, I don't know how much the Disk Cleanup will Cleanup. :)

However, I'm confident that the method above will remove the Backup Files properly.

Windows 7 doesn't pass the Grandma, Noobie OR even the Average User test when it comes to Complication.

It is by no means a simple O/S to operate in for anybody. (LOL) (LOL)

NO worries, we all keep learning until the day we move on. :)

Rick P.

Posted 3 years ago

Seasider
Seasider

Thanks Rick, will follow your advice.

Harry.

Posted 3 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

Download Site for Windows 7 SP-1 Packages.
http://www.microsoft.com/downl.....laylang=en

Rick P.

Posted 3 years ago

ispalten
ispalten

Rick, after running DISK CLEANUP, dism /online /cleanup-image /spsuperseded returns it can't find anything to do. So Disk Cleanup removing the SP1 saved data appears to work fine too.

Irv S.

Posted 3 years ago

vistamike
vistamike

From howto today:

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto.....ave-space/

Mike

Posted 3 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

@Irv and Mike,

That's Great confirmation on the Disk Cleanup issue.

Now there are (2) ways of doing it. :)

I guess what's left to do is starting posting howtos for making an Integrated Installation Disc
with Win7 and SP-1 Combined.

Rick P.

Posted 3 years ago

spin498

Are MS's servers down? I installed SP1 on laptop first night no issues, but right now my PC won't download any updates, just hangs there.

Posted too soon, after 40 mins I got updates, but none of them were SP1.

Posted 3 years ago

sonotageek

I haven't found anyone talking about the particular problem I'm experiencing: I installed the "pre-release" of SP1 (Beta) and I need to uninstall it before I install the final version. However, my uninstall attempts fail. The message I receive post-attempt is this: "Failure configuring Service Pack. Reverting changes." I've tried doing the uninstall in Safe Mode but got the same result.

I was thinking I might have accidentally deleted the backup files made (by the system) during the Beta install. Does anyone know the folder path to these files so I can verify my hunch?

Stats: Windows 7 HP x64
Intel i5

Posted 3 years ago

Fishlove

Now, i know, i should have done a wait and see approach on installing this, b/c it would have been a little less headache for me. But Im the type of guy always looking to pull every last bit of performance out of my PC. But seriously? ONE program i install and run...Driver Sweeper, and my whole install experience goes to hell? I tried all the other options, praying i wouldnt have to do the Worst Case Scenario...then i did it...i did an in place upgrade just to make SP1 happy. Now, i have a folder full of my old profiles, and being this is my first time having to do this...do i just copy the folder into my Users section and everything except for nearly everything i installed will be ok? i know im a bit off topic, but this is a headache trying to re create all the tweaks for all the programs, im just glad that i have the old user profiles so all the old scores on the games my wife and i had should be safe. Id love to throttle Phyxion. I will never use Driver Sweeper again

Posted 3 years ago

LH
LH

sonotageek. Can you ask your question in a New Topic please.

Posted 3 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

One way to make a Windows 7 and SP-1 Integrated Disc.
http://www.intowindows.com/how.....n-dvd-iso/

Rick P.

Posted 3 years ago

Fishlove

I have had enough problems in the last 24 hours with Windows 7 Service Pack 1 to warrant an uninstall. between the 5 minute boot times, Flash player problems, Bink video problems in a game, Ive had enough. Its my own fault for being an early adopter and thinking this update would help me pull a lil more kick out of my PC, but until i see some sort of fix, I'm done with it. As it is, i had to an Upgrade Install to even get the pack to install (thank you Driver Sweeper). So, if you are considering installing SP1...wait it out.

Posted 3 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

NOT good advice in the above posting concerning waiting HOWEVER a system must clean and ready BEFORE installing any Updates or Service Packs.

Rick P.

Posted 3 years ago

Fishlove

well, i believe i have traced my two major problems to :
1) a faulty game install-re installing fixed it
2) i dont think ie 9 is ready for prime time..i went back and forth trying to get Flash to work with Youtube with no results, i must have gone to Adobe's page 100 times lol. (PS yes i am aware of the Hardware Acceleration tweak for Flash...if im gonna have it installed, i might as well be able to use it to its full potential)

And i installed and ran a trial version of Tune Up Utilities to see if there were any problems with my system. there were some and it fixed them.
Im debating doing a re install of SP1, but im not sure i want to invest all that time...

Posted 3 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

Fishlove,

I suggest a Clean Install of Windows 7 from scratch.

Then

Apply SP-1 Installation from ISO Setup Disc.

The reason is that from your posting above, the machine appears to still have many issues.

Tis a "Tuff" solution I know but is the BEST FULL PROOF SOLUTION.

Rick P.

Posted 3 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

Learn how to install Windows 7 Service Pack 1 (SP1)

http://windows.microsoft.com/e.....pack-1-sp1

Rick P.

Posted 3 years ago

Delluser190

I installed Windows 7 SP-1 about one week ago from the download with no apparent problems.
I don't know if this is related to the SP install or not but when I rebooted my computer after being away for several days
I was presented with the warning that I had a illegal copy of Windows 7. I had done a new install of 7 on a new hard drive
and had been using it, including doing all updates, since 8-18-2010 with no problems.
I had purchased Windows 7 Home Premium from a listing on Craig's List who was selling it for $65.00. Apparently my copy was not
counterfeit but was a copy not licensed for private sale. The listing was advertised as Computer Service FL, in Bonita Springs, FL
Sean McTeague, Phone: 239-494-5135. I now have a legal Product Key. BUYER BEWARE!

Howard W.

Posted 3 years ago

germ-x
germ-x

HD activity light still keeps going like the everyready bunny after installing windows 7 SP1. On 2 systems everything settled down after defragging but on one system it looks like the hd is in a continuous defrag mode. Have removed and reinstalled through regular updates with the same results. HD light keeps blinking again almost like it is defragging my hd. Same software on 2 of the 3 systems, different results, one keeps on going and the other appears to be acting normal.
Appreciate and suggestions, thanks.

Posted 3 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Get Free Articles in Your Inbox!

Join 134,000 newsletter readers

Email:

Go check your email!