• Topic Viewed 35773 times

vistamike

Fun and games to come?

Public release 22nd February

Mike

Posted 3 years ago

raphoenix

Mike so true !!!!

However SP-1 is Badly needed as the Updates are so many now.

This is the way the folks using Vista had to make a Slipstream Version of Windows Vista with SP-1.
http://www.mydigitallife.info/.....vista-rtm/

Am Hoping MS has a BETTER Method for creating a Windows 7-SP1 installation image / DVD although using imageX plux the AIK is the correct method for working with WIMs.

It would be nice if Users could just Verify their Genuine Copy of Win7 and MS or the OEMs would mail them a new pre-integrated Windows 7 installation Disc for a nominal postal fee BUT those days are gone forever I think. :(

Rick P.

Posted 3 years ago

raphoenix

More InFo + Schedule.

http://www.computerworld.com/s.....2011-02-09

Rick P.

Posted 3 years ago

Scott

If you're not intending to install, for whatever reason, please do not post on this thread.

Posted 3 years ago

raphoenix

http://technet.microsoft.com/e.....fault.aspx

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-u.....fault.aspx

Not really sure how this works as I'm not a paid subscriber.

Posted 3 years ago

raphoenix

MS AIK Download Page
http://www.microsoft.com/downl.....laylang=en

Readme File
http://technet.microsoft.com/e.....y/dd349350(WS.10).aspx

Posted 3 years ago

DarklordZwei

No problems here. Install went very smooth.

Posted 3 years ago

raphoenix

NO problems installing SP-1 from ISO DVD.

However, there are (2) late breaking Updates which were NOT included in the
Final Package that should be installed also.

(KB2484033)
(KB2488113)

Posted 3 years ago

ispalten

I got 4 files down, the 2 Rick mentioned and another 'optional' one, as well as the SP1.

All seems 'well' for now.

Time will tell.

Irv S.

Posted 3 years ago

marks100

just did mine no problems ... as yet :) got the 2 rick mentioned first :):)

mark .

Posted 3 years ago

dalevista7

installing sp 1 now. I did all the other above mentioned updates first so far everything is fine.

Posted 3 years ago

raphoenix

Several things I didn't mention in my post above but just reminders.

After Successful Installation of SP-1:

1. The 100 or so regular Log Files need to be cleared.
2. Disk Cleanup utility should be run.
(NOTE) Do NOT delete the Service Pack Backup Files until sure everything is running properly.
3. The O/S Mechanical Hard Drive should be Defraged to Zero Fragmentation.
(NOTE) This should be done several times with a Clean Boot in between.
4. Each and Every O/S settings should be re-checked for proper configuration.
5. A Backup image of the O/S Partition or Hard Dive should be made.

Rick P.

Posted 3 years ago

dalevista7

install aborted. checked the stats seems I have been running on sp 1 since I purchased the notebook in oct. 2010!

Posted 3 years ago

marks100

@thanks rick thanks doing now :):)

Posted 3 years ago

vistamike

@dalevista7, if it was on there when you bought it, it would have the beta or RC version. You will need to uninstall it before RTM will work/install

Mike

Posted 3 years ago

ispalten

Interesting 'tidbit' on W7 x64. After the SP1 install, the 2 others Rick mentions, and one optional, later in the day Windows Update came back with another fix????

A security update, KB2479628?

==================
Microsoft Security Bulletin MS11-012 - Important
Vulnerabilities in Windows Kernel-Mode Drivers Could Allow Elevation of Privilege (2479628)
Published: February 08, 2011

Version: 1.0
General Information
Executive Summary

This security update resolves five privately reported vulnerabilities in Microsoft Windows. The vulnerabilities could allow elevation of privilege if an attacker logged on locally and ran a specially crafted application. An attacker must have valid logon credentials and be able to log on locally to exploit these vulnerabilities. The vulnerabilities could not be exploited remotely or by anonymous users.

This security update is rated Important for all supported versions of Microsoft Windows. For more information, see the subsection, Affected and Non-Affected Software, in this section.

The security update addresses the vulnerabilities by correcting the way the Windows kernel-mode drivers validate input passed from user mode. For more information about the vulnerabilities, see the Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) subsection for the specific vulnerability entry under the next section, Vulnerability Information.

Recommendation. The majority of customers have automatic updating enabled and will not need to take any action because this security update will be downloaded and installed automatically. Customers who have not enabled automatic updating need to check for updates and install this update manually. For information about specific configuration options in automatic updating, see Microsoft Knowledge Base Article 294871.

For administrators and enterprise installations, or end users who want to install this security update manually, Microsoft recommends that customers apply the update at the earliest opportunity using update management software, or by checking for updates using the Microsoft Update service.
============================

Published on the 8th but not included Tuesday?

Irv S.

Posted 3 years ago

vistamike

@Irv, interesting point.
I did the SP1 install this morning
Downloading and the installation was like watching the proverbial paint dry. I did as the HTG and followed Rick P's suggestions (thanks Rick). But instead 'of walking away for a while' I had a few small glasses of sherry

An hour later the paint was dry and so was the sherry.

So now win 7 ultimate 32bit sp1 and another nigh on 600mb purloined from my hard drive.

No probs and no differences seen as yet. Boot time, no change, apps opening as they should

Mike

Posted 3 years ago

vistamike

Untill I did a quick update after and then this.....

Great stuff

Mike

Posted 3 years ago

Budohorseman

Greetings all,

After the update I ran into two small issues. One, an occasional 'buzzing' sound, much like a phone set on vibrate (I actually checked my phone twice before I realized it was coming from my speakers). It would last for a few seconds then stop, repeating every couple of minutes.

The other issue was just a general sluggishness of the system in general. Slow loads on web pages, delay of mouse and keyboard, etc.

After about 20 minutes or so I gave it a reboot and thus far everything is back to normal.

Posted 3 years ago

raphoenix

One can see how the SP-1 installation progressed by checking the dism.log

The DISM log file can be found at C:\Windows\Logs\DISM\dism.log

NO need to post the HUGE log file here unless you have a specific problem with just a portion of the installation.

Posted 3 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.