How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

(Solved) - Win 7 Install

(3 posts)
  • Started 4 years ago by Raven
  • Latest reply from ssc73
  • Topic Viewed 648 times

Raven
Raven

i dual boot with Vista ultimate 64bit and xp pro 32bit. i bought Win7 ultimate 64bit now
and I want to install it on my xp partition. currently i dont have enough space
on my vista partition to move my important files over. if i install win 7 on my xp partition
will i loose all those files?

Posted 4 years ago

whs
whs

If you do an in place upgrade, you will find them in windows.old. If you do a fresh install, they will be lost. Best is you either put them into a seperate data partition or you back them up - which I would recommend in any case - just to be on the safe side.
You will probably also have to fix the boot record when you delete XP. Double booting is a bitch. I never use it. I installed Vista and Win7 independently on 2 seperate Satas (unplug one disk or the other during installation) . I switch the systems with the BIOS boot sequence. This is optimal because the 2 systems never get into each other's hair. And my data partition I can use with both systems.

Posted 4 years ago

ssc73

Raven,
How much free space do you have on each partition and how much data do you have? Do you have somewhere like an external HDD that you can store all your data on temporarily?

If you can report back that info I can help you. I had a nearly identical situation.

But I must say, after a day or so, you won't be using your Vista partition much. There's just really no comparison and I can't really think of a single thing I miss about Vista because everything good about it is still in 7.

Posted 4 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Enter Your Email Here to Get Access for Free:

Go check your email!