The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows XP

win 7 64 bit USB printer won't work from XP 32 machines

(3 posts)
  • Started 2 years ago by cypdevil
  • Latest reply from cypdevil
  • Topic Viewed 672 times

cypdevil

History: 3 XP Pro 32 bit computers on Ethernet 100 MHz wired network (MSHOME), #1 (BNE-MAIN) , #2 (BNE-VIDEO) and #3 (BNE-2). HP D5460 connected to #3 via USB port. No problem printing. #3 rendered its soul to its maker for recycling and was replaced by #3a, which I named BNE-SECOND to avoid all confusion. #3a is a Lenovo ThinkCentre with a 64 bit Windows 7 and the D5460 is plugged into a USB port with sharing enabled, default name HP Photosmart D5400 series.

Problem: Cannot print from #1 or #2 but can print from #3a. #1 & 2 show D5460 as icon with sharing "pipe" symbol. Clicking on it brings up usual window and Properties will not print test page, nor can an app print. Changing default D5400 driver to Universal one made no difference.

Have tried http://www.howtogeek.com/howto.....-7-and-xp/ but that does not work for me.

Posted 2 years ago

scorpion99

can you post us a picture of this "pipe" symbol?
is file sharing working fine between the 3 PCs???

Posted 2 years ago

cypdevil

Thanks for your reply

Sorry, haven't found a way to post an image from a file, but you must know what I meant. It is a standard symbol which resembles a length of pipe with a T-junction in the middle, that is added to a printer, folder or file icon to show it is accessible to the network.

Yes, I have file sharing (after much difficulty, found by adding 'Everyone' to the access lists!) between all computers. The printer has 'Everyone' added by default, so that is not the problem.

Posted 2 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.