The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows XP

will not wake?

(9 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by richardm93
  • Latest reply from raphoenix
  • Topic Viewed 487 times

richardm93

problem just started . having trouble with mouse and sometimes keyboard not working. seems like after screen goes off the usb mouse will not bring it back on when moved. i can unlug mouse and seems to take a second to get the usb unplugged sound. can pug back in and get the sound and it may work for a while and may not. i dont have an old PS2 mouse so i can check usb controller. i can see everything on computer through network so i know its working. i have checked power options and only thing i have is to turn monitor off after 20 min. been that way since day one. its is a gigabyte motherboard.
wife work computer and really need to get something going pretty quick. HELP!!!
Thanks!
Richard

Posted 1 year ago

warlock

If the problem just started, try a restore point when all worked.

Posted 1 year ago

richardm93

well thought about that but after pondering on it and digging out of wife i remember about a month or so back the mouse didnt work and i swapped mouse with another computer and it worked. after talking to wife she told me it quit the other day and she unplugged and plugged back in and it started to work. was working last night when went to bed and not this morning. trying to reinstall usb drivers and its quit working again. UGH!!

Posted 1 year ago

vistamike

In device manager uninstall the usb drivers, apply, ok then reboot.

The drivers should reinstall cleanly, you should now get 'new usb device found', let windows do this.

Hope this works for you.

Mike

Posted 1 year ago

richardm93

well tried that. this has my son and me stumped. i have a usb drive hooked up and it works fine. i can access it through the network and read files and everything. i can unplug drive i get the sound and plug back up and it comes right back to life. but keyboard and mouse are weird. sometimes when they quit i can unplug them and plug back up and they work for a minute or less and sometimes they dont. has me dumb founded. i really dont think its a hardware problem cause the usb drive works. oh well

Posted 1 year ago

raphoenix

Is a Ggigabyte motherboard.

Did you Build the machine ??

What is the Model Number ??

Posted 1 year ago

Xhi

Have you tried another keyboard and mouse? It could be the rf device going bad.

Have you checked this on both mouse and keyboard??

Posted 1 year ago

richardm93

yes its a gigabyte model GA-G31M-ES2L
we built about 3 or 4 years ago.
been working fine. it started about a month or so back when the mouse quit working. swapped it with another mouse and it worked so i thought mouse was bad.
then mouse worked on other computer so ok whatever.
problem started getting more common and now sometimes it will work by unlpugging and plugging back in and sometimes not

Posted 1 year ago

raphoenix

That LGA 775 MB has had (4) Hardware Revision Levels and is pretty old.

My guess is with the "Funky" ipad Charging plus 3X USB capability that the hardware is shot.

The MB was originally suppose to be used with a PS/2 Mouse.

Since you are a Builder, you will have to determine for yourself if the hardware is failing.

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.