SEARCH

The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Microsoft Office

(Solved) - Will I lose my Word starter docs when I install full Word version?

(9 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by Dee1957
  • Latest reply from vistamike
  • Topic Viewed 547 times

Dee1957

I ask because some say yes & some no - I have to be 100% sure as cannot lose these precious docs

Thanks for any help

Posted 1 year ago

vistamike
vistamike

Dee1957, hi.

As the documents would have been saved as a .doc any version of Word will open them

Mike

Accepted Answer · Posted 1 year ago

oldgeezer

No, you won't lose them, they will have been saved in your Documents folder and that isn't affected, even if you were to uninstall the software completely.

Posted 1 year ago

G41M

Although it would not be affected, If you do not have backup copies of those "precious docs", I would suggest to back them all up first to be safe. Not just for the Word upgrade on-hand but for future recovery.

Posted 1 year ago

Xhi
Xhi

But, it is always a good idea to keep a backup copy of any documents that are important to you.

Posted 1 year ago

Dee1957

Thank you very guys - I have no idea how to back-up things but I'm sure there's an on-line tutorial somewhere, on here I bet!! Cheers to all who have commented - Love Dee x

Posted 1 year ago

vistamike
vistamike

Dee, copy them to a new folder, CD or a thumbdrive. Always best to have 2nd copies.

Mike

Posted 1 year ago

Dee1957

Actually they save as .docx which I guess is the same - I had real problems sending these docs to a friend with full word & sharing with Skydrive - can't wait for full version, no more hassle I hope

Posted 1 year ago

vistamike
vistamike

.docx is the normal save.
If you have problems, copy the document and save the as a 2003 (.doc) and send that. You will have 2 copies, either / or

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Enter Your Email Here to Get Access for Free:

Go check your email!