SEARCH

The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Build Your Own PC

Will a new (and higher) PSU help speed up my system?

(5 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by Zuelajindi
  • Latest reply from Zuelajindi
  • Topic Viewed 559 times

Zuelajindi

I've had the same tower for almost three years now. The only upgrade I have done on it is the video card. It is an ASUS Essentio CM5571 (pretty limited on what I could do to it). I did not up the PSU due to being frugal and thinking the video card requirement stating that it required a 300 watt PSU (my stock PSU happens to be 300 watts), but I did not take into account of all the other components that up the power requirements.

So, I ordered one of these, hoping this will help power all the components and give the CPU some breathing room (whenever I would run a rather demanding game, or multitask, the CPU usage will almost always be stuck high.

Posted 1 year ago

raphoenix

You will not notice any difference in machine performance unless you can upgrade other machine components.

If the machine was not blue screening with old PSU, then just adding non-used high watts PSU will not do anything.

Posted 1 year ago

Zuelajindi

I was also considering getting a new mobo and CPU (because all motherboards that are compatible with my CPU are discontinued). My CPU is a Dual-Core E5400, and I wanted to upgrade my system to be able to play newer games more smoothly.

Posted 1 year ago

Xhi

My personal opinion is that whatever improvement you can get by upping memory and video card is about the best you can do to improve a non-gaming computer to playing games better. Otherwise purchase a computer with what you need to play the game you want. Upgrading is pretty futile.

Posted 1 year ago

Zuelajindi

One of the other things I want to be improved is making my computer faster overall, be it for multitasking or requiring less CPU usage to go about daily tasks.

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.