The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

(Solved) - Wi-fi password

(28 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by LarrySr
  • Latest reply from whs
  • Topic Viewed 691 times

LarrySr

I am ashamed to admit this but I forgot my password on my own Wi-fi network. Is there a way I can find out my own wi-fi password?

Posted 1 year ago

Lighthouse

Can't you just go into your router and reset it ? (or it should show what the present one is)

Posted 1 year ago

LarrySr

How do I go into my router and see the password? It has been years since my grandson setup my wi-fi and I am not sure how to do it. I know it is working because my laptop can still access the internet thru it but I am trying to setup my Kindle to use my wi-fi and it is asking me for a password. I thought I knew the password but it is not correct. There must be a way to go look at he wi-fi network from my main computer and find the password but I need help because I am not up to speed on these things.

Posted 1 year ago

LarrySr

I should be able to find the password thru the control panel on the main PC shouldn't I?

Posted 1 year ago

Drizzle

Have a look at this.
http://howto.cnet.com/8301-113.....-password/

also have you checked the back of the hub or whatever???

also Rt click on the wireless icon, this should give you some info to assist.

Posted 1 year ago

vistamike

The router password is in the router, however that password may be remembered in the browser last used to access it.

The password is normally printed on the back of the router but if you have changed it the do a reset. Power everything off (router, PC). At the rear there should be a very small reset button needing a pin/needle to insert, gently press for 10 secs, reboot all. Now use the password on the router when you access your wireless card.

Mike

Posted 1 year ago

LarrySr

Drizzle; I followed the link you provided and it had some freeware software that it said would retrieve the wi-fi password for me. I downloaded that software which was a zip file. When I attempted to un-zip the file my norton software blocked it because it said there was a virus in the zip file. So much for that idea.

Posted 1 year ago

LarrySr

maybe I didn't explain this properly. I got this router at an auction. It is a Linksys router. My grandson connected it and got it working. He setup my wireless network which we name "Archer". He told me to enter a 10 digit password. I did that and everything has worked fine for years. I connected my laptop 2 years ago to this wi-fi network and it asked me for the password. I entered it and my laptop has worked find on this wi-fi network and it still does. I am now trying to connect my Kindle but I must me be entering the password wrong because it tell me it is the wrong password. I don't want to mess with resetting the router I just want to find out what password I created for the Wi-fi network. I should be able to do this through Windows 7 shouldn't I. I know the password is not written on the bottom of the router because I did not write it there and I created the password. Surely there must be a way for me as administrator to find out the password without resetting the network.

Posted 1 year ago

CompWiz

LarrySr, hi.

If you have a PC connected to your network whether it's wireless or hard wired open command prompt and run: ipconfig /all [enter].

If you can post an image of that info it'll be much help. Normally, you would type "192.168.1.1" in the address bar of your browser which will then prompt you to enter a username & password. Default username: admin password: password

Posted 1 year ago

vistamike

The original passphrase should be there under user name, they would be the default settings

Here are the default settings; http://compnetworking.about.co.....asswds.htm

Posted 1 year ago

nadeem001

is the password not under the router?

Posted 1 year ago

vistamike

nadeem001, thats what we have just suggested, thanks

Posted 1 year ago

ispalten

There are TWO p/w's being discussed here I think.

1) The WIRELESS password which it appears is known? Or was KNOWN at some point.
2) The ROUTER password to get into the Router and make changes. This appears to be the one NOT known as well?

In any event, you must get into the router and then you can change the Wireless p/w. Two ways to do this I would think, maybe three...

1) Using your normal browser got to the Routers IP Address, 192.168.x.0, where x depends on the Router setting/mfg. Possibly your Browser will KNOW the UID and PW and let you in.
2) If 1 fails, tell us the ROUTER MFG and we can probably tell you the DEFAULT USERID and PW it uses, and you can try that with #1 above.
3) Do the RESET and that will set the DEFAULT USERID and PW on the router, but we'll need to know the make and model of the router to determine the defaults.

Irv S.

Posted 1 year ago

vistamike

Kate's link modified; http://download.cnet.com/Wirel.....76245.html

Safe and works

Mike

Posted 1 year ago

LarrySr

ispalten; you are correct it is the Wireless password I have forgotten. I created it but I thought I forgot it. It turns out the password is case sensitive. I had the correct password but the alpha portion needed to be in all caps. It is now working. I sure would like to have had that software that was recommended to retrieve the password but my security software said it contained a Trojan horse.

Accepted Answer · Posted 1 year ago

ispalten

Larry, sounds like you've got Norton's ISS? I do and I get many warnings like this. Have to see the details before I decide what to do. My wife's computer is using McAfee's ISS... She hardly ever gets a warning. Many times I have her D/L the file too and see what happens.

I just tried the LINK Mike posted just above your reply. That is CNet, and I'm sure it is clean, and I took it down and ran it too, no complaints from Norton. Give IT a try.

Irv S.

Posted 1 year ago

Drizzle

Thanks Mike, you dont expect CNET to have a virus.

Sorry,Larry but as Mike has checked it out, do try his link above also suggested by Irv.

Posted 1 year ago

LarrySr

My Norton blocks me from using this download. It said it contained a Trojan horse called TROJAN.ADH.2

Posted 1 year ago

vistamike

No worries Kate, but even Cnet now have issues, with the bundled stuff. Your link just blocked the original download (comodo firewall) (with me) but saw the other link for 64 bit as an alternative

Posted 1 year ago

Drizzle

How strange... but as you say not downloading because of a notification seems wise.
Will have to wait for any thoughts.

So as you say you have it working,is the question now solved???

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.