• Started 6 years ago by chustar
  • Latest reply from jd2066
  • Topic Viewed 3759 times

chustar
chustar

Yeah, thanks.

Posted 6 years ago

Alethea

I wonder if old posts get followups sometimes...

I have a new HP desktop with pre-loaded Vista. I wanted to install my old 40Gb hard drive as a backup for my data. It had been in a Fujitsu-Siemens, using Windows XP, whose motherboard grilled, but the HD was fine and I recovered all the data I wanted. Subsequently I hard-reformatted the disk and am now kicking myself.

I have a Product Recovery CD-ROM for XP for the Fujitsu Siemens. Can I reinstall XP on that old hard drive? Or on a partition of my new disk, with these recovery disks (I suspect the answer is no to both).

If not, is there any use installing Linux on either a partition of my primary HD or onto that (hopefully installable) old HD, so as to be able to start up quickly and use it to get onto Internet and manage e-mail? My other major local applications are Office, FileMaker Pro and Photoshop, which I plan to use with Vista if, as I hope, they are compatible... and e-mail will be used to exchange documents that I would open with those programs.

Advice and opinions very welcome! As are links to other posts...

Posted 6 years ago

jd2066
jd2066

@Alethea: You should start a new topic in the Windows Vista forum as:
1. This is an old topic on a unrelated subject. You may want to install Linux and this thread is about reasons to use it.
2. None of those applications will run well if at all under Linux.
In the new topic be sure to list the versions of that software you are using and I can find out if they run under Vista.
Also the recovery discs are specific to the model of computer they are for and will not work with a different one.

Posted 6 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Enter Your Email Here to Get Access for Free:

Go check your email!