The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows Vista

(Solved) - Why is my memory so full?

(14 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by stonecold2129
  • Latest reply from ispalten
  • Topic Viewed 1037 times

stonecold2129

I have an Acer Aspire computer running Windows Vista with a 32 bit operating system. My RAM says 4.00GB. When I click on computer it says Acer C: 5.02 GB free of 69.7 GB and the memory line is red. What do I do? I cant afford to take it to the shop or to buy more memory.

Posted 1 year ago

warlock
warlock

http://www.howtogeek.com/forum.....replies=17 Looks like the same problem you had 1 year ago. What was the out come of that?

Posted 1 year ago

stonecold2129

I dont remember. Thats why I reposted.

Posted 1 year ago

warlock
warlock

Thought that may be the case. That's why I posted the memory jogger link above.

Posted 1 year ago

Superevil
Superevil

You won't be able to put more memory in the computer anyway because it can't handle more than 4gb. Click Start and type Disk Cleanup in the search box. Run Disk Cleanup and see how much free spoace it will regain.

Posted 1 year ago

stonecold2129

Thanks warlock

Posted 1 year ago

CompWiz
CompWiz

stonecold2129, I think RAM size is irrelevant since your issue is with memory available in c: drive.

Right click on any folder and click on 'properties' to see which on is the one taking up most of your c: drive's capacity

Posted 1 year ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

Might be an idea to run,
http://www.filehippo.com/download_ccleaner/

Posted 1 year ago

whs
whs

We are not talking about 'memory' - we are talking about Disk Space. One problem could be that you have a lot of restore points in the shadowstorage. Run this command and check how much shadowstorage is 'Allocated':

vssadmin list shadowstorage

Posted 1 year ago

tech27
tech27

Yeah certainly Lighthouse suggested is a great idea to run CCleaner. I've been an avid user of CCleaner because I can sometimes clean more than 4GB of temp files on my system!

Posted 1 year ago

vistamike
vistamike

To reiterate the above, memory is RAM, you have 4gb, so you will see around 3 to 3.5 active. That is the constraint in 32 bit.
Space, the final fontier.
This is the physical 'space' left on your hard drive after the OS, then programs, THEN data.
You have, what appears to be 70gbs on your C drive/partition?
Do you have a D (data) partition?
Where are you storing your data? If on C specifically, then it will fill pretty quick.

You need to look at the size of your data storage ( music, pics etc ), get them off to another drive as backup.

Look at unneeded / unwanted programs, the ones you don't need, uninstall them. Get rid of things like iTunes etc.

As above, run Ccleaner after the event, reboot.

You should post an image of your 'computer' to see if you have another partition. (data)

Posted 1 year ago

ispalten
ispalten

A screenshot of what SPACESNIFFER shows would be a GREAT help here as well.

Irv S.

Posted 1 year ago

stonecold2129

Ok so now my memory is under control. It says 22.2GB free of 69.7GB, but my music and any type of website that has music or anything sounds like its stuttering. Do I need to close this thread and start a new one?

Posted 1 year ago

ispalten
ispalten

Start a new one please.

Memory to most people is *RAM*, the physical h/w installed in the computer. Usually in GB's in most new computers, less in older ones.

Disk Space is composed of used, reserved, and free space, also in GB's, but NOT the same as memory.

Don't use the terms interchangeably and call both memory, it will confuse people.

Post h/w spec's with your problem description please.

Irv S.

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Get Free Articles in Your Inbox!

Join 134,000 newsletter readers

Email:

Go check your email!