XxChungxX
XxChungxX

Why,
Is it because its not compatible with softwares or not user-friendly

just give a complete answer

Posted 1 year ago

warlock
warlock

http://www.google.com/#hl=en&#.....38;bih=716 Take your pick.

Posted 1 year ago

XxChungxX
XxChungxX

OKay,

and by the way

What Browser are you using or recommend?

Posted 1 year ago

warlock
warlock

I use IE8. Just my preference. Not knocking the others just serves the purpose for me.

Posted 1 year ago

StringJunky
StringJunky

It's most likely because you are set in the Windows way of thinking and it is not completely transferable to Linux...you are required to UNLEARN some things and do them another way. It's like trying to put square pegs through round holes! :D

Posted 1 year ago

XxChungxX
XxChungxX

Okay

Posted 1 year ago

XxChungxX
XxChungxX

I'm going to install the new kubuntu OS

Wish me luck :P

Posted 1 year ago

whs
whs

In (K)Ubuntu, the preferred browser would be Chromium - although Firefox is standard but a lot slower.

The reason why Linux is more involved than Windows is because a lot of the functions you can only do thru the command line because there is not a lot of UI.

Posted 1 year ago

XxChungxX
XxChungxX

OKay

Posted 1 year ago

XxChungxX
XxChungxX

So Its:

(k)ubuntu
Google Chrome *browser*

^ Trying to upgrade to more geeky/Challenging stuff ^

Posted 1 year ago

Superevil
Superevil

I've tried KDE (Suse, Kubuntu, Mandrake) several times and no matter what I've always hated it. Gnome and XFCE are more my speed.

Posted 1 year ago

StringJunky
StringJunky

Chung

If you give up on Kubuntu try Mint

Posted 1 year ago

XxChungxX
XxChungxX

Okay, Thank's

I got the kubuntu OS

but it takes long to download :|

okay, i'll try:

-Mint
-Gnome
-XFCE

after..

Thanks Again

-Chung

Posted 1 year ago

XxChungxX
XxChungxX

I haven't tried any yet actually

- i'm too busy

I think i will stick to kubuntu

if anything

Posted 1 year ago

presence1960
presence1960

http://linux.oneandoneis2.org/LNW.htm

Posted 1 year ago

ReadandShare

For me, I was tempted to try Linux but was dissuaded by two factors:

1. My head spins every time I try to sort out the myriad of distributions and what not's. Imagine 96 different flavors of Apple or Windows OS, with five new ones forking every other week...

2. I might still have braved #1 if Windows had continued to be as unreliable as it was in Win98 -- but starting with Win XP and defnitely with Win 8 -- it's gotten to be reliable -- and even likable. So now, no reason for me to sort out #1 -- except for mere curiosity -- which is there, but not enough to overcome contentment.

Posted 1 year ago

presence1960
presence1960

To each his own, to thine own self be true are two truths I apply to the OS choice/debate. Each user has to use what best gets the job done for them. I do not believe one OS is superior to the other. Each OS has it's strengths and weaknesses. I have a tri-boot with Ubuntu, Sabayon and Windows 8. For a number of years I was using strictly Linux, but since Windows 7 and 8 release I am impressed enough to use Windows again. Nothing is perfect and that includes OSs. Which OS a person uses means absolutely nothing in the grand scheme of things. To me what is important is how you use the knowledge of your OS(s) that you use, do you use it to create divisiveness and controversy or do you use it to help others.

Posted 1 year ago

CompWiz
CompWiz

presence1960, nicely said..

Posted 1 year ago

richaustin

I use Linux and Windows. Windows 8 at the moment and Ubuntu. If I had to work every day, and didn't need Visual Studio because of work, I'd choose Linux. It is far more flexible in the way you can use it. However, this leads to, as mentioned above:

"1. My head spins every time I try to sort out the myriad of distributions and what not's. Imagine 96 different flavors of Apple or Windows OS, with five new ones forking every other week.."

My advice if you want to try Linux is:

1 Download either Ubuntu or Mint. Both make it relatively easy to get started. Both also install alongside Windows (they do that for you) so you can run either system. There are, as the contributor above noted "myriad of distributions", so keep it simple and choose one of the ones I mentioned - later on move to one of the others. Remember, choice is the biggest factor in Linux - you can, quite literally, have the computer you want and work how you want, not what some big shot in Richmond dictates you will do. Linux = Freedom in a way.

2 Get it into your head that, unlike Windows, passwords to do things are very much a rather good idea. If Linux prompts for a password it is to protect you, not, as in Windows "Security" to get in your way of doing stuff.

3 Sign up, assuming you install Ubuntu, to the Ubuntu forum at http://ubuntuforums.org/ or any of numerous other Linux forums. Linux biggest strength is that people want to help you and, crucially, actually know what they are talking about. Keep posts simple, explain as best you can what the issue is - don't say "It's broke!" - and somebody will help you.

4 If you can't get something to work do not plug away it hoping it will work. Get on the forums and ask.

5 Viruses. There is no such thing as a virus in Linux. Should you run a virus checker in Linux? Yes , if you are really worried or if you pass a lot of stuff across to people who use Windows - a virus could be attached to an email for example. Do I run a virus checker? Windows, absolutely, it's the first thing I install when ever I install any version of Windows. Linux - never needed to.

6 Internet Banking - see 5 Viruses. It is one hell of a lot safer on Linux to pass your money around the internet than it ever will be on Windows.

7 Get a copy of Linux Format, write to Graham the Editor, join the forums.

By the way, I really like Windows 8, hate XP, Windows 7 is okay, love Linux. I run Windows 8 and Ubuntu (running from the fancy Windows 8 boot screen) but my favourite flavour of Linux is Arch - don't get there until you know something about it, but the forum is the best in the world in my opinion.

Richard

Posted 1 year ago

presence1960
presence1960

@richaustin- RE #3: are you saying people in here aren't knowledgeable and don't want to help those having problems? I think that is an unfair characterization to make either about Windows users or Linux users. I know firsthand many people in the linux community who use RTFM or an equivalent response to someone with a problem. Be fair my friend there are people on both sides of the fence there in both communities. If the linux community has one fault it is the belief that they are somehow superior because they use linux. I know, I can say that because I am an active member in Ubuntu Forums. There is no OS better than another. each OS has it's strengths and weaknesses. It is up to each user to decide what OS they want to use. They should be respected for their decision, just as you want respect for your choice. Live and let live! No shame in using windows. There are plenty of people willing to help and who know what they are talking about in the windows community, just as there are in the linux community. Sadly both communities have their share of the other type of people as well.

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Enter Your Email Here to Get Access for Free:

Go check your email!