I just bought an iPod Video 30gb 5th gen not long ago from Craigslist. It was working fine, but the front was really scratched up. So I decided to replace it. I work on iPhones normally, and I looked up how to do the iPod on iFixit.com, and it seemed pretty easy. So I ordered a $5 faceplate off eBay and replaced it on my iPod, put everything back together, but now the thing is completely dead. Does not turn on, is not recognized by the computer or iTunes, will not respond to being reset (holding the menu and center button for 8 seconds), will not respond to being plugged into a charger, will not respond when flipping the hold switch, nothing. I took it apart and put it back together again to make sure all the flex cables are secure. Still nothing. All I did was remove the backing, unplug the battery cable, headphone cable, and HDD cable, swap the faceplate out, then reassemble in reverse order. I don't understand what's wrong.

Not sure if this matters, but the first faceplate I got from eBay was scratched, so I had to wait for a replacement from the seller. Meanwhile, the iPod was left disassembled for a few days while waiting for it.

Anyone have ANY idea what would cause this?

Posted 4 years ago