SEARCH

The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

(Solved) ~ Why do I need My Doc's, My Pic's in W7?

(9 posts)
  • Started 5 years ago by whs
  • Latest reply from LH
  • Topic Viewed 932 times

whs
whs

In Windows7 we have the Libraries with Documents, Pictures, etc. Then again under the user name there are My Documents, My Pictures, etc. I can see some sense of that in a multi-user system, but what sense do the latter make in a single user system?

Posted 5 years ago

LH
LH

It's the same in Vista. All down to backward compatibility I believe.

Posted 5 years ago

whs
whs

LH, you puzzle me. In Vista I don't have any "My xxx", just Documents, Pictures, etc.

Posted 5 years ago

jack7h3r1pp3r
jack7h3r1pp3r

@whs i don't think that it is called my docs and such but still the same concept as win 7 as you were saying

Posted 5 years ago

whs
whs

My point is: In Vista there is only one place to put my files (docs, pics, etc). In WIN7 there are 2 places. Why - for a single use installation? I can understand in a multiuser/multipartition environment. There you may want a "Library" and then everybody picks their selection from there - plus they have some that are singular for their partition. But for a single user, they are both the same.

Posted 5 years ago

Scott
Scott

whs
whs

Hmm, interesting. I guess they had to complicate the matter. Thanks Scott. You may close this one as "resolved".

Posted 5 years ago

Scott
Scott

Shirley and timely too.
A good blog to add to your feed :)

Posted 5 years ago

LH
LH

@whs. Those "My" folders, I had in Users. I had presumed they were just links. But when I opened them up, I found they were "phantom" folders. How they got there I don't know. They are now gone :)

Edit. I was messing about with a few legacy programs a month or two ago. So they could have come from 1 or more of those.

Posted 5 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Enter Your Email Here to Get Access for Free:

Go check your email!