The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Geek Stuff

(Solved) - Why can't I expand D drive?

(5 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by mindstormer
  • Latest reply from whs
  • Topic Viewed 384 times

mindstormer

By default (every time I reformat the computer), I have the assigned drives C, D, and E. C and E are part of first physical drive, while D is a second physical drive. This is a problem, and you will see why. I have to reassign the letter paths and switch the assigned D and E so that now C and D make up the first physical drive and E is the second. After doing this, I can't expand the new D drive from the unallocated space coming from the first physical drive.

http://i.imgur.com/IwyFQ.png?1, this is after I switch the letter paths of D and E.

Essentially:

1. Why is it by default (every time I reformat the computer) that my second physical drive is D drive while my C and E drives are my first physical drive?
2. Why can't I extend the now D drive?

Thanks. This is urgent as I can't work on my computer when my now D drive is full and I can't expand it from the unallocated space.

Posted 1 year ago

Xhi
Xhi

1. Because that's the way the drives are recognized by the BIOS and Windows.
2. Because you can't extend a drive when the free space is in front of the drive. Only if the free space is at the end of the drive

Posted 1 year ago

whs
whs

Use Partition Wizard (best the bootable CD). Then you can extend to the left.

Accepted Answer · Posted 1 year ago

mindstormer

Thanks, I thought I could try and fix this without using an application. I actually used GParted and everything is working fine now. Thanks.

Posted 1 year ago

whs
whs

Fair enough. GParted is as good as any - although I once destroyed a partition with it (my fault).

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.