How-To Geek Forums / Microsoft Office

Why are .wav files so damn big

(13 posts)
  • Started 5 years ago by whs
  • Latest reply from whs
  • Topic Viewed 2830 times

whs
whs

PowerPoint will only accept .wav files for embedding. Problem is that .wav files are 10 times the size of an .mp3 file (+/- 40MB). That makes any PP presentation or Photo Album very big and a pain to upload or ship to friends. I stumbled on this nifty site that explains how to fool PP to accept an .mp3 after all. I thought that may be useful information for some of you.

Posted 5 years ago

techgranny
techgranny

whs, is there a way to compile these pp presentations in windows movie maker? When I try, I get a missing codec error message.

Posted 5 years ago

whs
whs

I don't think you can deal with PP files in WMM. The .pptx or .ppsx are really alien to WMM. You can, however, convert a PP file with e.g this excellent program which produces nearly any video file format - but you have to invest $49.95 (unless you want to live with the little watermark). After conversion, WMM can be used. However, I would recommend other programs because with WMM you have either an awful loss of quality or you get very, very big files. Plus, the processing takes forever. My favorite video editor is this program. (another $19.95). It has some restrictions and cannot do everything that WMM does, but if you are well organized, you get excellent results without any loss of quality and it is very fast (edits, what's called "publish" in WMM) in seconds. But this life is expensive - LOL.

PS: both programs have a trial version. So you can check them out yourself. And if you have any questions, let me know. For Machete, I plan a tutorial anyhow.

Posted 5 years ago

techgranny
techgranny

Interesting, WMM says it will do it with the proper codecs but it's probably easier to use a different program. I will investigate these conversion programs. Thanks!

Posted 5 years ago

whs
whs

Where did you see this statement for WMM. I really would not know what codec they are looking for. But maybe ScottW knows. He is the expert in those things.

Posted 5 years ago

ScottW
ScottW

Codecs, and DirectShow Filters, are used to encode and decode audio and video files. PowerPoint presentations are not videos. That's why it requires a specialty application to convert them from PP to a video format. WMM should be able to import just about any video format that you have the proper DS filters for.

I'm surprised to know that PowerPoint can only accept .wav files. I would think that Microsoft's own WMA format would be accepted by Microsoft's office suite.

Posted 5 years ago

techgranny
techgranny

ScottW, oh codec master, this is what it says. . .

Posted 5 years ago

whs
whs

ScottW, PP does accept any audio file in "insert" mode. But then it plays the music off the audio file on your system and when you want to ship it, you have to ship the audio file with it. If, however, you want to embed the audio, then .wav is the only option. I really do not undestand either why they chose such a bulky file format.
You run into the embedding problem e.g. when you want to upload the file to a site like authorSTREAM. If it is not embedded, it will not play on the site.
For the WMM looking for a "codec" I think we are of the same opinion. PP and WMM are 2 pairs of shoes.

Posted 5 years ago

techgranny
techgranny

So is that a yes or no on WMM?

Posted 5 years ago

ScottW
ScottW

Granny, in theory it would be possible to create a DS filter (or "codec") that would take a PP file in and create a video stream that could be imported into WMM. It's not practical, though, because that codec would have to do all of the work of converting from PP to video. At that point it is saved to a video file which can then be manipulated by other video processing programs.

In short, that's a no.

Posted 5 years ago

whs
whs

Techgranny, I just made an experiment. I tried to import a Word file to WMM and got the same message as the one you posted. This message seems to be generic to fend off any "aliens". And again, PP and WMM don't mix - but I think ScottW said that already.

Posted 5 years ago

techgranny
techgranny

Good to know. Thank you both:)

Posted 5 years ago

whs
whs

You are welcome.

Posted 5 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Get Free Articles in Your Inbox!

Join 134,000 newsletter readers

Email:

Go check your email!