SEARCH

The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Geek Stuff

Why are my monitors catching interference?

(9 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by McBraas
  • Latest reply from McBraas
  • Topic Viewed 532 times

McBraas

Hey, everyone!

I recently moved into my new apartment and created a PC/TV setup not unlike that which I had in my former one. They are beside each other, with respectable room in between them. Only issue is that I now get inteference ever so often on my monitors - TV and PC monitor.

With the TV, it usually helps to pull out the sound cable, but sometimes they just both display inexplicable and so far unsolvable interference, and it's not funny! It's not funny at all!

Does anyone know what might be wrong?

Posted 1 year ago

McBraas

Also, I apologize for the humongous picture - I dunno what went wrong there.

Posted 1 year ago

warlock
warlock

My first thought is to check all cables, and connections. Some may not be tight or need cleaned with contact cleaner.

Posted 1 year ago

McBraas

I'm sorry, what does 'tight' mean when the topic is cables?

Posted 1 year ago

warlock
warlock

Fit well, some on TV's have a nut to tighten. Not being there don't know what you have.

Edit: If you jiggle , move the cables around does it change anything? More, less interference.

Posted 1 year ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

Try putting some aluminium foil round the back. Make sure to not short anything out.
could also be caused by this, http://www.howtogeek.com/forum.....ost-307439

Posted 1 year ago

McBraas

Alright, thanks!

I'll try those things.

Usually the only thing I can find that alters it, is the sound cable between my PC and TV. But it also appears at times, when I've unplugged it.

Posted 1 year ago

vistamike
vistamike

Does your tv have HDMI? This is a great improvement over VGA and also carries sound.
If your PC does not have HDMI, cards are available similar to this; http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sapphi.....#38;sr=8-1

Mike

Posted 1 year ago

McBraas

Thanks, Mike! That's a great idea!

Do you know if most modern graphics cards carry HDMI?

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.