The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Linux

@whs

(22 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by hArLtRoN
  • Latest reply from whs
  • Topic Viewed 1098 times

hArLtRoN

I have been looking at your tutorial for installing Zorin in VMware and so far I like it! I have messed around with it for a few days and I'm installing it now on my laptop. Gonna use it as the main OS for awhile, see if I like it.

So far I've found everything I would need to install that I currently use in Windows (Dropbox, Spotify).

Posted 1 year ago

hArLtRoN

So I have Zorin installed (am posting from it) and I've run into something. Do you know how to keep the "status bar" from disappearing when in a window (ex: Chrome or LibreOffice)?

EDIT: I figured it out.

Posted 1 year ago

whs

I am glad you like Zorin. I have a lot of fun with it. I am no Linux expert at all but with Zorin I can do things.

For web work I use FireFox. I find it a bit better than the default Chrome. One thing I did not show in the videos - you can make the taskbar larger (which I like). Right click on on the Start button and go to Dock Preferences. Then you'll see. I set my size to 45. Then it shows about the same as my Win7 taskbar.

Posted 1 year ago

hArLtRoN

I am thinking about giving Ubuntu a try again. I have messed with it in the past.

You may be able to answer this question you may not, but how exactly are programs installed? I know you can go through the software center OR through the terminal. The problem I am running into (I ran into this problem the last time I experimented with Linux) is files with the extension .tar.gz, .tar.bz2.

I can't for the life of me figure out how to install programs from them, even after scouring the internet.

Posted 1 year ago

whs

I only install and remove thru the program library. Never had a problem. And yes, I cannot answer your specific question. I am sure the guys on the Linux forum can help you out.

And I don't like Ubuntu - especially that Unity UI.

Posted 1 year ago

hArLtRoN

Is this the forums you are talking about?

I haven't tried Ubuntu since version 10. That's when I screwed by computer up with GRUB. What a nightmare it was getting that sorted out. I think Rick was the one that helped me with it.

Posted 1 year ago

hArLtRoN

I decided against Ubuntu and went with Linux Mint. So far I am liking it a lot. It is similar to Zorin with the "start bar" on the bottom. The "start menu" is a little different but it is easy to find your way around in.

You should give it a try if you like Zorin. It's easy for you because you do everything in virtual machines :)

Posted 1 year ago

whs

I have Mint also. It's OK. Have to do some more work with it.

And yes, the forum you linked is the one I was talking about. The guys there are very helpful - answers come in a little slowly though.

Posted 1 year ago

hArLtRoN

Mint is working the best on my laptop. It isn't heating up very much (staying at around 20-30 degrees Celsius) and CPU usage is down really low, even with multiple programs opened.

I will have to create an account on the Linux forums for when I have questions.

Posted 1 year ago

greebal

I have Linux Mint installed on a small partition on a win 7 laptop, just to use to see if I liked it which I do.

After reading the above I would like to try Zorin on my win 8 desktop which has a big enough hard drive to give it a reasonable size partition.

As Mint didn't upset the win 7 laptop I presume Zorin would be ok with win 8?

Posted 1 year ago

whs

The Windows 8 EFI may give you trouble if you install in double boot.

Why don't you run it in virual like I do. That is the best.

http://www.sevenforums.com/tut.....zorin.html
http://www.sevenforums.com/chi.....ost2275421

Posted 1 year ago

hArLtRoN

I would run it virtual if you are using Windows 8. As whs the EFI may give you trouble. Whs's tutorial is very thorough.

Posted 1 year ago

greebal

@whs
Many thanks.

Took your advice and followed the tutorial link provided.

Got Zorin up & running in virtual, looks like a nice OS to use, will play/customize when I have time to do so.
I really like the way you can copy & paste from the host system to Zorin.

Easy tutorial to follow, I wouldn't have gone ahead without the advice.

Posted 1 year ago

whs

Well, I am glad you had a successful Zorin installation. You are the third person (I know of) that had a good installation following the tutorial. That makes me feel good because now I know that my work was not in vain and that the video uploads did not block my internet during hours for nothing. It is good to see people experiment with things.

I am currently experimenting with Mint Mate. That is a nice system too. But the VMware Tools installation is slightly different because it is a Gnome2 base. I am still fighting it because I made a mistake during the installation - specified the wrong Gnome. That's where Linux gets really confusing - too many distros on too many different bases. I guess I have to restart from scratch.

Posted 1 year ago

hArLtRoN

There are a lot of distributions. I can't tell you how many I have had on my flash drive the past few days trying and figuring out which one I like and if it will work for what I need. Thank God that you can put ISO files on a flash drive, otherwise I wouldn't have any DVDs left.

Posted 1 year ago

whs

I put the isos on an external disk and keep them at least for a while - until they are obsolete. And in VMware I install directly from there. I use CDs only for live discs and DVDs only for music and videos. I never put data on them.

Posted 1 year ago

hArLtRoN

I have a folder on my desktop computer hard drive that I keep ISO files in. When I'm using VMware I too install directly from the file on the drive.

I only use a flash drive when I'm installing an OS directly.

Posted 1 year ago

jmeeks49

Wolfgang,

to add to the comments above i think the videos are very well done and easy to understand (except for your accent LOL LOL LOL) for someone with a disability i think the videos are a must have like the old saying goes you can't learn with out getting your hands dirty. keep them coming.

John

Posted 1 year ago

greebal

Zorin
The only thing I find is that it is slow running it in virtual

I assigned 2gig ram and 2 processors as advised (probably my machine needs better hardware).

I have a spare 40gb HD doing nothing, maybe I'll put that in and run it alone from that.

8 is running ok with what I have.

Ram
4.00 GB Dual-Channel DDR2 @ 265MHz (4-4-4-12)

CPU
AMD Athlon II X4 620
Propus 45nm Technology

Posted 1 year ago

hArLtRoN

If you do install it on your spare 40GB HDD make sure that you UNPLUG your Windows 8 drive BEFORE you start anything to do with installing Zorin. That way you can't overwrite OR mess up your Windows 8 installation.

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.