The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Off Topic

Who knew this?

(17 posts)
  • Started 6 years ago by whs
  • Latest reply from mpc104
  • Topic Viewed 1255 times

whs

I would think I should have noticed the little secret on my dashboard that was staring me in the face the whole time...I didn't...and I bet you didn't either...
Have you ever rented or borrowed a car and when arriving at the gas station wondered...mmm, which side is the gas filler cap?
My normal solution was to stick my head out the window strain my neck and look, try to see in the side mirrors, or even get out of the car. Well ladies and gentlemen, here's the secret...
If you look at your gas gauge, you will see a small icon of a gas pump.
The handle of the gas pump will extend out on either the left or right side of the gas pump.
If your tank is on the left, the handle will be on the left. If your tank is on the right, the handle will be on the right (see photo). It's that simple!

Don't feel dumb, just go out and share the world's best kept auto secret with your friends..............................

Posted 6 years ago

Scott

Why is it sooooo complicated now?
I miss the days when you could just pull down the rear license plate ;)

Posted 6 years ago

jack7h3r1pp3r

all i need are a couple energy drinks and i'm good for the day :) (they help you skate faster) lol

and i didn't know that whs very interesting

Posted 6 years ago

raphoenix

@whs,
Something I never thought about except for "hassle" of pulling in on wrong side of filling island.
Good find !!
@Scott,

Wonder why it was changed from standard "behind license plate" position ??
Don't remember any safety issues ??

Kindest Regards,
Rick P. ♥ :)

Posted 6 years ago

jack7h3r1pp3r

@whs i looked at mine while i was driving to school today and by the pics you have shown my car's is wrong because it says it's on the right but it's really on the left ???

maybe since my truck is a 89' though that my make a difference?

Posted 6 years ago

whs

jack, I have no idea. Maybe you have an import from Britain. They have things the wrong way around.

Posted 6 years ago

jack7h3r1pp3r

no its a chevy s10 89'

Posted 6 years ago

whs

Hmm, maybe the story is a hoax - it did not even withstand the first test. Have not looked at my own car yet - I hardly drive it. I like to walk to the stores.

Posted 6 years ago

jack7h3r1pp3r

ya well i live about 10 miles out of town lol :D

Posted 6 years ago

whs

Walking is healthy - the more, the better.

Posted 6 years ago

jack7h3r1pp3r

yes but 10 miles is a bit much and on a highway nonetheless :D i prefer to live thank you

Posted 6 years ago

ScottW

Yes, it's a hoax. Always check snopes when you are not sure:
http://www.snopes.com/autos/techno/icon.asp

BTW, "send this to everyone you know" is usually a red flag for hoaxes.

Posted 6 years ago

whs

Sorry, but at least it is a hoax that does not hurt anything.

Posted 6 years ago

BobJam

I hadn't thought to check if it was an urban legend or a hoax . . . probably because it was not mentioned that this info came from an email.

So, I would have been like some other posters here, looked at the gas gauge in my car, and reported back that my little icon was . . . Brit maybe.

Posted 6 years ago

mpc104

whs,no need to apologize,you were only passing along helpfull info.i thank you for that.

Posted 6 years ago

The Geek

One of my friends just told me this one when we were at the gas station a few days ago. Honestly, it's a pity that it is a hoax because it would be quite useful if it was true.

Posted 6 years ago

mpc104

maybe its not all manufacturers.maybe their is an auto maker out there that would make this true.something to think about anyway.

Posted 6 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.