The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows XP

While typing the cursor changes to a circle with arrows

(12 posts)
  • Started 6 years ago by sarakanne
  • Latest reply from sarakanne
  • Topic Viewed 4331 times

sarakanne

While I am typing email, word doc or filling out an online form, the cursor changes to a circle with 2 arrows. When I move it, the page starts scrolling. Also, at times the pointer will not open, close or do anything when I attempt to click it. This only happens intermittently. I am using an HP Compaq nc6000 laptop. Any ideas?

Posted 6 years ago

blastph3my

What's happening is the middle button of your mouse (or middle-button equivalent) is being pressed somehow without you knowing it's been pressed. This brings up the autoscroller, or circle with two arrows, you know of. It can be a useful feature when it's not getting in your way. I'm not sure how your touchpad is set up, but you should maybe look through your mouse configuration in the control panel to see if there is some part of the pad that you're inadvertently tapping or something that is bringing up the autoscroller.

Posted 6 years ago

sarakanne

Thanks, here is a little more info. I use my touchpad exclusively. I travel frequently with this laptop and I wonder if something has gotten jiggled loose somehow. Of course, as I type this, it is not happening. I took the computer into Microcenter and a tech looked at it and told me he thought it was something running in the background. Whatever he did only lasted about 2 days. It's very intermittent problem.

Posted 6 years ago

Scott

Do you have Alps Touchpad software installed?

Posted 6 years ago

sarakanne

My Compaq nc6000 has a Synaptics PS/2 Port Touchpad--no alps software that I am aware of.

Posted 6 years ago

Scott

You may need to update a driver:

http://www.synaptics.com/suppo.....ng.cfm#top

Posted 6 years ago

sarakanne

O.K., I updated my driver and the problem is still occurring. Any more ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I am using a Synaptics Touchpad on a Compaq nc6000. Thanks.

Posted 6 years ago

Lighthouse

Whist on the subject. How do you get the scroller up with just the touchpad?

Posted 6 years ago

taybay

On my touchpad, I can assign corners of the pad to specific actions.. right click, middle click, minimize, maximize etc. I would say your palm is possibly touching the pad while you type. There is a setting in your touchpad options to change the sensitivity to palm touch. Try that.

Posted 6 years ago

sarakanne

That's the 64 million dollar question. I am typing along, minding my own business and wola, my cursor changes to an autoscroller and I am unable to continue to type. When I hit the delete key that SOMETIMES will disable the auto scroller. My pointer also becomes non-responsive at times and I cannot click on a link, close/open programs, etc.

I took this computer to Microcenter and a tech did something in the Task Manager and changed some of my touchpad settings. Now, I still have the problem, but not as frequently.

Thanks for your help.

Posted 6 years ago

taybay

Oh geez, we posted at the same time. Read what I wrote above =)

Posted 6 years ago

sarakanne

Thanks Taybay. I went into the control panel for the mouse and found an advanced tab for my touchpad settings. Do I need to enable "wheel detection" or disable it? I would think disable as that sounds like what is causing my problem. Also, I could not locate anything for palm detection settings. I think that you are right that it is a problem with the touchpad. It rarey occurs if I hold my hands away from the touchpad when I type.

Thanks for your help.

Posted 6 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.